Supervisor as author for journal they did not contribute to

C

Hello, I would like to publish some of my findings. However, my supervisor has discouraged me from writing articles. He/She has suggested that I focus on the thesis and write to journals after the PhD. I have sent some drafts of journals but he/she has said that he/she does not want to be part of it. \i do feel that i need to publish to make my findings more valid having been reviewed by academics. If I submit an article, would I be justified as being the only author but adding supervisors name in the acknowledgment? It is a bit tricky bcos if i put his/her name in an article he/she did not contribute to, i'm not sure what the reaction will be. I feel if the supervisor did not contribute to the article he/she should not be included as a co author. What do people think?

B

In my field (humanities) it's very normal for students to write single-author papers, in their own names, acknowledging their supervisor(s) in the acknowledgements. I did this during my PhD. What field are you in? In science there are different conventions, so that could be relevant here.

P

======= Date Modified 09 Jul 2010 22:30:30 =======
I don't know if I am getting this wrong, but you can *never* put someone's name on an article without their knowledge and consent. It is unimaginable. Can you imagine, 10 years later, suddenly seeing a journal article, with your name as author on it (giving you responsibility for the ideas in it, even if partial) when really it has been written by your PhD student and when you have expressly stated that you do not wish to be a part of it? What will your reaction be?

I would go with what your supervisor says really, unless they have a really bad track record (students failing, students long term unemployed etc). If they feel your thesis and its completion on time needs more attention right now, then so it is perhaps. They are the supervisor and hence they are probably gauging your pace and progress.

More generally, on the matter of publishing, it does not hurt the supervisor if their student publishes. If they are actively discouraging you and advising you to focus on thesis then it might mean (A) they are concerned you may not complete thesis on time if you get distracted with the demands of the publishing process at this point (B) that your work needs further fine tuning and refinement till it is sent out to be reviewed. Both are concerns of time and quality which a supervisor's job is to look out for and mediate, if need be. So, yes, please follow their advice unless you have hugely strong reasons not to. And these reasons cannot be that it's good to have things published. Of course it is. But every person is ready at a different time. usually supervisors can measure things and gauge who is ready when.

C

Thanks everyone. Phd bug is right in the sense that my thesis so far is quite descriptive. I still need to add more analysis. But i feel that i need to send some articles off for publication and concentrate on the study. Part of the reasons for this is that other phD students that have passed suggested that having peer reviewed articles published from their theses contributed to their being passed. I also feel that the ground breaking findings may become outdated if someone else publishes something similar before i do. The issue now is that 2 of my articles have been accepted for publications though not yet published. I used my name and added my supervisors under the acknowledgement

C

My field is in the social sciences

S

======= Date Modified 10 Jul 2010 00:05:10 =======
Publishing is not necessarily part of doing a PhD - its good to do, but I know of many people in my field that haven't published until after their PhD - they are all Drs and all have a large number of publications in top peer reviewed journals and books to their name. There may be a very good reason why your supervisor is suggesting you hold off for now and to publish without their permission (or not so much permission as blessing) is asking for trouble in your relationship. I was advised NOT to publish too fast - for a start your writing isn't always up to it and your ideas aren't ready - I was told its better to wait until you can get your first publication in a highly respected journal in your field. It may well be that this is the case with you, that the journals that have accepted your work are top flight, but it is apparently potentially damaging to a student to have a low grade publication - you can't then publish your results again in something the main players read. I'm submitting for publication in Sept at which point I'll be just starting my 3rd year - suddenly my sup is saying go for it - write, write, write, publish :-) I will be writing as sole author, my supervisor will advise, help with editing etc but wants my work to be 'mine' not me in his shadow. I'd just be wary of ignoring your sup's advice - they may well be suggesting you don't publish for a good reason. If he says focus on your thesis you should be doing just that - its the thesis that will be examined for your PhD, not your publications.

J

your supervisor will have a reason for this. All those already mentioned are valid and important. They may think you have potential to get published in a 'better' journal (they may even think someone might take your idea and run with it before you get your thesis in, after all once it is out there you have spilled the beans on the contents). Certainly you can't add anyone's name without their consent, would you be pleased if someone did that to you? Your supervisor has the experience, and you need to listen to them.

C

Thanks everyone. I feel more relieved now. Since he/she was not in support of my writing articles then he/she should not be a co author. he/she should not feel bad since he/she was not in support. I've written about 50% of my thesis and have a deadline of 1 year. However, i know more analytical writing is needed in the thesis.

There was an impression that supervisors should be added as coauthors to any article a student writes. I think co authors to an article should have read the article and made suggestions, adjustments or even addtions. The 2 journals are top notch journals in my field. I felt that since i've done my analysis, it's better for me to publish now and focus my energy on the thesis. I think going to the viva with publications arising from the thesis will be a good thing. Thanks everyone. I feel better now.

Cheers

Coolguy

P

======= Date Modified 10 Jul 2010 14:04:36 =======
Going into a viva with publications can be a good thing but you're making the assumption that they're going to get published. Not to be harsh but it's going to be more difficult than you think. I might sound a little patronising here but the publication process isn't as simple as writing it up and sending it to your fave journal. It's very likely they're going to be sent back for corrections and resubmission. This is after a potentially long review period (I think reviews take longer over the summer months. Might just be me though!). And then when you resubmit again you may not get them accepted. It's possible that by the time you finally get them accepted that you'll be at the crunch time for your thesis.

Some journals can be quite picky too. Not just in their standards but in what they'll accept. Some journals I've heard of won't accept a paper if it's been submitted elsewhere. You might end up aiming for the top in this case, missing and finding you've not got many other options for a similar level of publication.

Ultimately you're the one who knows your research best, and where you are at progress wise but I'd advise against publication at this point in time. If your supervisor is against it and isn't being supportive there'll be a reason.