supervisor's name on conference paper?

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know if it is usual for a supervisor's name to appear on a PhD student's conference paper when they have helped with it.

I'm not sure what the procedure is when your supervisor has helped because, although I've already delivered two papers, I didn't get any help from my (ex) supervisor for those.

Any ideas? - I'm humanities.

R

Hi Eska,

I think I'm in a similar area to you, but it's never occurred to me to put my supervisor's name on conf papers. I've always assumed help for students is expected to some degree in their work, as part of the student/supervisor relationship, such as in them reading and commenting on drafts. Maybe it's different for PhD students who are written into a collaborative, externally funded project.

Hi Ruby, Thank you for the advice. Yeah, now you mention it, I've never seen a supervisor's credit on a conference paper, so maybe it's enough that he is listed as my supervisor. Have a good eve.

S

Yeh, supervisor's names don't normally go on our conference papers. And I've also never seen them acknowledged there either. I also think it's part of their job...