Supervisor/topic issues

K

I've been working on my PhD for almost 6 months, and I think I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going with it, what's missing in the literature etc. I really like my topic (I hope this enthusiasm lasts!) and I'm excited to see where the research goes. But I need some advice about my supervisor - We met last week, after I sent my proposal, and some background documents a week in advance (sup doesn't really have that much background in my exact issue, but is supposed to be really good on methodology). When we met, he didn't really have that many comments, and the ones he did have made me think that he hadn't really read my proposal, at least not to the end, as much of the stuff he was suggesting was already in there. Some of the other stuff was kind of off the wall - completely different methods (like using photos instead of a survey) or issues that don't seem that relevant. There's not really anyone else I can work with in the department unfortunately, and I'm pretty tied to this location through funding. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get more useful feedback? Thank you!

S

Hi Kezia

I'd be a bit concerned if your supervisor wasn't an expert in your area - is there really no-one else who could at least be a co-supervisor? You will need someone with subject matter expertise. And if this person's methodology suggestions now don't seem so good, that's a worry too...I would definitely try and find a co-supervisor. Failing that, I think you need to have really targeted questions that you want feedback on, so they don't get off track. I'd put them in an email, and be specific eg, wanting feedback on your conclusion, so at least they have to read your whole document. Then use those points as an agenda in your meeting with them. Then, once you have some rapport established with them, I would tactfully ask how they might be able to assist in getting you further assistance with someone who knows your area. There's a long way to go, and you need to make sure you have the support and access to knowledge you need.

D

Hi,

Would it not be possible to nod, smile and say what a wonderful idea this is. Only to go back in a few weeks time and discuss how, while visual methods are innovative, the literature, as yet, is quite sparse? I think an awful lot of the PhD process is being able to manage your supervisor(s) and their expectations.

R

======= Date Modified 04 Jan 2010 15:00:01 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Content removed - spamming/irrelevant.

C

======= Date Modified 04 Jan 2010 10:33:52 =======
Globalization is a huge topic that can barely be covered in a semester long class. Many thick books have been written about it, I reccomend straying from that topic...it's just too expansive. Outsourcing is a subcomponent of globalization/international trade that you might consider.

Dating Advice

J

Hi Kezia,

Its normal to be worried at first, and I guess the fact that you know your supervisor isn't from the same feild might add to this worry. But sometimes that can be a massive help too. My original supervisor was not from the feild I am working in but had fantastic knowledge on lots of other things. At first, he would suggest some pretty weird things, and it was only when I asked to explain his logic that I kinda got where he was coming from. And, for me, it helped massively to have someone outside the field because that way, we were both critically approaching the topic with a fresh pair of eyes. I did have an external who was an expert in the field, however. And that helped with subject specific enquiries.

I guess as your relationship develops, you'll work out for yourself whether having an 'outsider' for a supervisor has been a good thing or not. It might help to develop a really innovative research idea that people who have been in the field might not have thought about.

Re using visual aids instead of surverys: I guess that depends on what you are studying. There has been a lot of research coming out using visual aids instead of surverys, with some fantastic results. For example, on emotional recognition. But that depends on your field. Re him reading your progress report: most supervisors don't have much time. If he's a really good supervisor he will be honest and say either he didn't get it or didn't have time to read it. There ways around both. At the start, I gave my supervisor selected journal articles to read....i.e. meta-analytical reviews or the 'biggies' in the field. And because he was knew to feild he used to quizz me heavily. Which was really great further on down the line, when I had to try and explain my studies to non-experts in the field.

Sorry for speaking so much, I guess I just wanted you to know that it doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. Its just what you make of it. But if you do need subject specific advice, have a look around for an external supervisor outwith the uni to balance the team.