Supervisor went behind my back and use my thesis material without telling me

H

Hi

I have created a test for my PhD. Recently, I found out that my supervisor has secretly modified the test that I have created as his own and gave it to other researcher to use.

What can I do about it?

I am so frustrated!

S

Hi Human,

That is terrible! Do you have proof that the test is originally yours (perhaps you emailed it to him and thus you have evidence that it is dated prior to his modification of your text)? If you do have evidence, then you have every right to lodge a complaint against his unethical behavior. I am not sure though if it is acceptable by the University if he has indeed modified it significantly. I know I am not being much help, but I do feel for you! Good luck and do keep us updated on the issue!

B

Human - was your PhD funded by the university or a research council? If so, I doubt you actually own the intellectual property. Check your university website for the rules on PhDs and IP but frequently the university owns the intellectual property of research carried out there. If you are in science I think this is even more likely to be the case.