Supervisors and sabbaticals

K

Does anyone know what the rules when your supervisor is on sabbatical? Mine seems to think that I won't get any supervision and that it's just tough luck! According to her, noone else will have time to supervise me and she won't be able to on sabbatical as she's out of the country. The problem is the 6 months she has planned is the last 6 months of my write up prior leading up to my submission date. I'm worried about having work checked! Thanks.

Z

well my supervisor managed to supervise me during his 6-month sabbatical to New Zealand via email, so it shows you what's possible - she could still read your drafts and offer feedback, couldn't she?

K

well I would have thought so. She's off to a third world country and doesn't think she'll have reliable e-mail.

L

send it by DHL next day delviery and charge it to your uni

K

If I were you, I would check your university regulations - contact the research student office. I am sure there are rules about supervisors going on sabbatical/study leave having to ensure that someone is in place, if only nominally to supervise you.

Picked their time well didn't they?! A few months before submission! Seriously though, chase this up with your research office/registrar if necessary. You are entitled to supervision for THE WHOLE OF YOUR REGISTRATION PERIOD with the university, and provisions shoydl be made if your supervisor is absent.

K

cheers kronkodile - am trying to find out the regulations but kept getting passed from pillar to post. Will keep at it!

J

Unless she`s going to Afghanistan, GMAIL works magnificently well everywhere.
My M Sc supervisor was (is) Muslim. Every year we had a slowdown in work b/c he was fastenning, but he managed to get some work done. Converserly he kind of expected us to work during Xmas...

K

**Unless she`s going to Afghanistan, GMAIL works magnificently well everywhere.**

That's not the point though. A supervisor is not just in place for academic issues - they're meant (supposed) to asddress any other personal issues that a research student might have. And the bottom line is, no matter how good technology is at facilitating communication, a student should ALWAYS have someone to refer to in person, .

Krashty, how's this situation going? Are you still being passed from pillar to post? Don't give up - you are entitled to supervision at the point of study. Contact the registrar or the student union rep if ou have to.