Supervisors say the darndest things!

C

My supervisor seems to have just replied to an email I sent him... in May 2009.

The funniest thing is that it says 'I will print it out and go through it asap'!

I have seen him about a hundred times since then. Thing is, I have recently sent him a file. So I presume he is talking about that. But then why reply to this old email rather than the one I sent him TODAY? From a completely different e-mail address that I don't really use.

He is a riddle wrapped in an enigma, etc., etc.

S

Teek: I don't think that its fair that you're suggesting that there's happiness for people going down the academic route. I think we all need to accept that it's either academic achievement or a fufilling life.

On another note, I met my main sup today and had an awesome meeting. I think I not only have tied down the theoretical framework (which, for me, is the main problem) but also communicated my ideas to her (she's not the most receptive of people.....things tend to get interpreted in the ways that she has studied, not in the ways that I'm describing.) I think that I now have a viable research project, rather than a good policy perspective.

On yet another note, I just got back from a fresher's birthday party. First years are young and can't drink, but can be entertaining.

A

What a brill thread, some of these are fab!

OK, here's one, although I would quite like some feedback on this in case it's true!

Background: When referencing figures in my text I like to write Figure 1...., my supervisor on the otherhand tries to always change them to Fig. 1....

When in a meeting with him the other week, he mentioned it again, and I decided that as this was my thesis I was going to stand up to him. So I said, to be honest, I actually prefer Figure, I just don't like the look of Fig., is it a problem, or is there a reason why it should be Fig.? He responded with, "no not really, its just pretty naive of you....". I swiftly moved on and said i'd think about it and decide what style I wanted!!

I just suddenly remembered while writing 'Figure' in my text - so I guess I've decided!

What's everyone's opinion on this? Advice welcome....

G

======= Date Modified 06 Feb 2010 19:39:38 =======
I don't think it is naive of anyone to want to type Figure instead of Fig. I actually prefer Figure myself, keeps it all the same if you have tables too, you wouldn't type Tab. 1....at least I never see this.

Anyway I've had a quick look through the journal papers I have at hand two out of 3 had Fig for the legend and obviously therefore in the text, the other one had Figure for both. So if academic journals are happy to have either format then I think your thesis can have either and nobody would think less. That's just my thoughts of course.

I can't think of any weird/funny things my supervisor has said...

A

Meeting yesterday (full thread coming up to try and vent some anger!) but for those on this thread how about this soul shattering comment:

"This is rubbish, do you REALLY have an honours degree in Microbiology...."

I am losing the will to keep going, as if i hadn't lost enough confidence in myself through the course of this stupid PhD!

S

Hi AL

That's a terrible thing to say to you!!! I would've completely lost it if someone had said that to me!! Yes, this PhD business certainly shatters one's self-confidence. We start out thinking we're smart, only to have this slowly chipped away from us. Eventually we'll end up with a doctorate knowing more, but also feeling more stupid.

That comment was one of those hurdles of this process. Keep going! Have a vent, have a rave at your partner, swear a bit, drink a few wines if that will help, then keep going. Your sup will also say something positive soon too!! And you know you can do it. We're with you!

A

======= Date Modified 02 Mar 2010 19:58:43 =======
Thanks Sue,
I almost did, luckily I saved the tears for his wife in the lab - who understands what a prick he can be!
But then as you'll see in thread he keeps going on about me coming back so I said - why would i come back when I'm obviously totally rubbish, I clearly just need to get this done and not darken the labs any more!
He didn't respond, just kept on reading and tutting - my comments don't seem to get through to him, I think he thinks i'm being sarcastic - who's stupid eh! :)
The problem is these days, I really don't think I am clever anymore, I've struggled my whole life to try and prove i'm not and now I don't think I am, so why try to prove something I'm not! I just want to cry and then go outside and burn every paper/mindmap and tell tale sign of this whole ordeal!
If only I could get on with my career without getting some kind of achievement for all the work, emotion and anxiety over these 3-4 years, I would probably not bother!

M

My supervisor got genuinely really annoyed with me last week because I took the last drop of milk for my coffee.. didn't speak to me all day! :p