surrounded by bizarre personalities!!!

S

I really hope I am unique in experiencing this but I have to put up with the most bizarre people humanity has to offer on a daily basis! I am final year PhD student and enjoy my project but to cope with crazy irrational post-docs and PI's that throw temper tantrums if they dont get their own way, come out with the most inappropriate comments or criticisms, become psychotic if you encroach on their lab equipment or just plain lie to get what they want!! Perhaps its just me eh! My supervisor thinks its a "character building" experience. They only experience I will take from it is that scientists are a bunch of weirdoes with personality disorders! Any advice on getting through this?

R

Hi Stacey,

there is always the question whether everyone around me is weird or whether I myself may be a strange! Food for thought.

I agree with you that in the research world there is quite a few excentric people and a lot are very introverted. Have not got the experience though that they are all dishonest and become easily psychotic. I agree that it is definitly a challenge to one way or another manage to work with diverse and as mentioned often introverted people!

R

Stacey, it sounds like you're very familiar with the people I work(ed) with.... I've worked with some seriously emotionally psychotic people.

U

Nearly all people with/studying PhD's are bonkers.

Why would any sane person do one?

I love this thread!

R

..and here we have 404 demonstrating his bizarre personality.

S

her, i believe...

J

I've had two nutters: one in the academic world (she thought she was an angel sent by God to teach humanity how to live; difficult to have a sensible converstaion with someone like that), and one in industry. The industry one was my boss so eventually had to quit when he decided payment was optional.

Compared to those two the everyday nutcases seem quite normal.

C

Ha! I remember, I once had a colleague of mine, quite an intellegent guy, come to classes with what seemed to be a yellow sky diving suit toping it up with a vintage tennis hat

S

i used to play competitive chess. let me tell you, that's where you'll find the real freaks! compared to that, the people I've met in academia are downright normal...

R

I could bring you on a tour of my old lab and give you a running commentary on the various psychotic nutcases (some with extensive background/Hx) you will meet along the way. I'm not even attempting to exaggerate psychoses. Hell, bring along a copy of the DSM IV if you want and I'll throw in a little match-the-nutcases-with-his/her-mental disorder quiz. Correct guesses win a mystery prize at the end of the tour.

J

Ha...I bet my "angel" could out-nut yout nutters

lol RogueAcademic

Thanks shani, yes "her".

R

Why am I always the last to know about who's male and who's female around here?

T

I'm new joined today- this is fun!
Crazy people? Yes, I had this one guy at my lab who decided he wanted to move into my spare room. Everything was fine until I discovered one night at 7pm he banged on my door creaming "Stop using your phone your talking too loud and I'm trying to sleep!" When I went to ask him what's up, he got me in a headlock and his face was bright red...! I am a girl and was terrified of him! He had to go....
He was a geneious but a crazy one- have you noticed that. The smarter they are-the more secluded they are- the crazier and autistic like they become.....