Taking some time off.

P

I've been thinking about taking some time off and wondered what experiences people have had of doing this. It seems to me that it is an impossibility. I can't suspend my studies as I need the money. I can't take a holiday as I have a deadline for an article for publication, and I am teaching as well, with about 60 essays to mark over Easter. Even if I took time off ill I would still have these things hanging over me, so I don't really know what the answer is.

S

seems to me like you've answered your own question....

L

take a few days off , and try to get away, do something you enjoy and relax , pamper yourself. then when you come back, try to make a realistic plan. it seems like the stress of having so much to do in so little time is causing you to feel demotivated. when you give yourself small tasks that are easily achievable, you will be able to work better. so my advice take a few days off and do not do any studying. then make a realistic plan, for all the things you need to do, ie work on your article abit everyday, mark one essay a day or 2 essays a day. dont try to do too much in little time, it will only stress yourself out. you're only human, so you cant work non stop like a robot.

best of luck!(up)

======= Date Modified 18 Mar 2009 09:54:46 =======
I find myself disagreeing with Lara on this.  I suggest that you pull out all the stops and get everything done before the Easter break, even though it is evidently a mountain to climb. Get all the assignments marked and complete a first draft of your article that can be submitted before you go away.  With everything out of the way, you can relax on a well-deserved holiday without anything hanging over you. If things are left undone, your mind will still be on them and you will find it difficult to unwind. Best of luck!

P

I'd second that, but only because I think you already know that you haven't got much of an option.
This is how I'd approach it:
1. Look in your diary and plan some time off after these deadlines. For me it needs to be at least four days, otherwise I just about manage to switch off from my PhD (and PhD related dreams) before trying to get going again, which is somewhat counter-productive.
2. Print off some timetables for the intervening period. Try to plan realistically, allowing yourself some time for breaks or else you'll get so demotivated you're unlikely to get done. In this wonderful weather I'm planning a walk later. Also, prioritize things in terms of their likely impact on your future if you dont get them done, i.e. long versus short term unpleasantness.
3. Get going.
Good luck, my friend (who is thinking about doing a PhD) went to a presentation by a well known how to do a PhD book writer (crikey my grammar is awful there!)... he said every PhD student must expect to have AT LEAST three major crises. Sometimes it helps to set things in context.

Good luck!
xx

S

Personally I would tend to agree with Ginga - unless you feel you are becoming ill with the stress, in which case, you could get a dr's note to support some time out.