Talk to supervisor?

G

I'm in my 2nd month of PhD and I have 2 supervisors. One is the main supervisor who is a professor so he can get quite busy. The other is the lab supervisor. So far I mainly speak to my lab supervisor and I've barely spoken to my main supervisor. I am worried that I should be making more of an effort speak to him about my progress. I wouldnt want him to get a bad impression of me and think I'm not bothered or unenthusiastic. What do others think?

G

If things are progressing well and your lab supervisor is happy, I wouldn't be too worried. Professors do tend to be extremely busy people! If you are worried, why not drop him an email with an update of your progress - that way, he knows you are keen and progressing well but he can read it and respond at a time that suits him :o)

G

Hey Ann- that sounds like a really good way of dealing with things. Its not pushy and you can't go too wrong. By the way, your main supervisor is probably getting updates from your lab supervisor- have you asked him?

G

Hi JM - in a similar situation myself: supervisor 1 gets me drunk while supervisor 2 (the prof) has trouble remembering my name! but as anon says your prof will be very well informed of your progress etc from your lab supervisor. are things the same for the others in your lab? if not, maybe talk to your lab supervisor and get his/her advice. best of luck

G

Ann's advice is very good. It will also help him/her to remember your name! Important if you want him/her to write you a meaningful reference. I've had people like that write references for me and the problem is that these professors never actually get to know you! Therefore, their references can be a bit 'neutral' and 'bland'. When competing for jobs, you need an enthusiastic reference, not one that says, 'yeah, he's alright'