Teacher Training Units

S

I worry about my research as I'm PT (work as well so things are tought anyway), but the units are flexible and there are no fixed sessions that I have to attend

Lecturer hubby thinks it is a waste of time, but he started lecturing a while ago when you didn't necessarily need publications or lots of teaching experience

In further education there is a massive drive to get all staff qualified teacher status, this goes from vocational stuff like welding to academic subjects like A-level history and maths. Even experienced further education lecturers who have been doing the job for years have to get qualified by taking courses part time. Soon the law will be changed so that there is no chance of teaching in further education without a teaching qualification.

I think its only a matter of time before the same thing happens in higher education and everyone who is involved in lecturing/teaching/running seminars will have to get a PGCE/Cert Ed (or at least be working towards one) before they can teach.