Teaching exercises

K

Me again!

2 threads in one day, how lucky you all are 8-)

I'm busy putting together my first seminar which will be on Tuesday. It's just going to be a brief introduction to the course and the module, and I want to do some sort of 'getting to know each other' exercises. Has anybody done anything similar and could they recommend some which went well?

Thanks

A

Hi Keep_Calm,

good for you getting some teaching experience in! :) Sometimes it depends on the type of room you're in etc, there are ones where you get a sheet with random things on, like "plays piano/guitar", has a car, etc etc and everyone has to find someone in the room to fill a box!?
I also did one a wee while ago for a gradschool training day, where you get folk to sit and think for a minute about "if they were a cartoon character/animal what would they be and why" then explain to group what it is about them that they can relate to? so it kind of expresses each persons personality in a fun and silly way - we got some great answers! :) (note - this maybe doesnt work so well if lots of people from different countries in class, as everywhere has different cartoons!). or something like get a bouncy ball and chuck it at someone and they have to give their name and a piece of info about themselves, possibly something nobody would have guessed about them, and then pass the ball on, but no ones answer can be the same twice!?

There are lots of things like this,
Good luck, let me know what you do and how well it goes, i love getting more ideas of these things!

KT

A

I do have a pdf of some but cant work out how to attach it on here?? Probably being really stupid! :)

R

Hi Keep calm,

try asking them to draw a picture of what their best and worst teaching experience was, and then ask them to present that to each other.

This makes that things become very informal, artistic work going on, presentations, and it helps you to know what they expect from you as a teacher (in general the best experience is with a friendly enthousiastic and knowledgable teacher, which I am sure you are!).

C

What subject is it in?

K

Hello all,

Well tomorrow is the big day. Nerves are starting to kick in and I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight....is there any part of the PhD process (and related activities) which isn't gut-wrenchingly terrifying?!
Anyhow, thanks a lot for all your ideas. I've decided to go for something simple and just ask them to get into pairs and find out some basic background info about their partner, then share it with the class. Then I'm going to ask them to get into threes and come up with a few of their favourite and least favourite authors, and then in fours to discuss what they've enjoyed/not enjoyed studying in the past and what they're looking forward to/not looking forward to studying at university. That should take up a good half hour at least! I like the idea of getting everybody up and milling about but I'm so nervous that I think I'm best starting with something quite sedate.
Cobweb, my subject is English Literature.
Wish me luck!!!!!!!

C

That's really freaky. The reason I asked you what subject you're teaching, was because if it was literature I was going to suggest exactly the same exercise. From experience (of being in the classroom as a Lit. student), this simple exercise always worked the best. It really helps students to feel a bit more relaxed and gets them talking, even if it is only to their neighbour to start with.
Anyway, good luck with your first seminar! Hope it goes well :-)

A

Good Luck Keep_Calm, i'm sure you'll do brilliantly! :)
Don't worry about being nervous too, like others said on your other thread, how you feel and what others see are usually two different things! Maybe even join in a bit with them and go round listening to their conversations, finding out a little about them too? I'm sure that will make them feel more relaxed and you too as you learn about them and talk to them on a more social level before getting in to the teaching?
Just a suggestion, but i've only ever worked with students on a more relaxed, one to one basis!

Best of luck!