Teaching practice & publications

G

I'm in my second year doing a PhD in Linguistics. Was just wondering if anyone has been offered teaching practice in their second/third years and how many publications you’ve got? My supervisor gives very little guidance. I just feel so isolated and lonely at the moment, mainly because he only sees me every 2 months or so and I don’t know any other PhD students. Am just worried that if I want to go into academia employers are going to look, see zero experience and ask what exactly I’ve done for the past 3 years.

G

I think PhD research is a very lonely process no matter how attentive your supervisors are. Can you apply for some part-time lecturing at your institute? I think it would be good to finish your PhD with some teaching experience. I haven't published any papers yet (still on my first year) but I taught undergraduates. My supervisor once mentioned that finishing the PhD with 3 published papers and 1 year teaching experience would be very useful for the future. I'd run a search on google for "call for papers" for next year's publications. Best wishes...

G

I think teaching experience is useful, esp for SocSci and A&H. Maybe try asking around - contact the lecturers that are convening courses you would be interested in teaching, with a CV, asking if they need anyone for next year - that's how I got stuff anyhow. Teaching is a good way of getting to know more people in the department.

G

Teaching is excellent expereince and will provide some structure to your week and some contact with others. At this time of year you should contact your department about tutoring opps next semester.

G

Most institutions require lab demonstrators to help teach undergrad practicals, especially if the classes are large. In return for some of your spare time you may get a cut price for tuition fees (Some even eliminate the cost). It's always useful to have a little extra cash and be able to say you were involved in such work. SocSci classes are so large now that they usually have to break them down into tutorial groups and they usually get postgrad students to do that. It's much more sociable that way and you get praised for the teacing work.

W

Teaching experience is good but don't take on too much. Make sure you know what it includes, e.g. will you have to do marking as well? How many scripts? Will you get paid extra for that or is it included? Is there any training? I mention training because my uni runs quite a good course for PhD students who teach and it was a good place to meet people.

Some departments let PhD students take seminars and others let them give lectures. I started giving lectures in my third year. I really enjoyed it but it can take a long time to prepare, especially if you haven't taught that before or if it's not quite your topic. I was paid only paid for the 2 hours I lectured each week which included everything - preparation and marking (50 essays, took ages), but the experience was valuable in terms of applying for a lectureship, it raised my profile in the department and it did break some of the PhD isolation.

W

Also, have you thought about speaking at a conference? That can help to break the isolation and give you something to focus on, and it is good when people find your work interesting. Then you could try and convert your conference paper into a journal article.