Teaching Qualification (Fellow of HEA) - how important for research pathway?

T

Hi all,

My university offers funded GTAs/PhD candidates (I'm one) a free three-module programme whereby we can submit 3 x 5,000 assignments based upon our teaching experience. One module allows us Associate Fellow status with the HEA, and three modules allows us Fellow status.

My question is - how important do you think this is? Post-PhD, I will be busting a gut to get a Postdoctoral Fellowship somewhere, as I really want to go down the research pathway. Sure, there'll be teaching involved somewhere down the line, but should I be so preoccupied with writing 15,000 words of non-PhD material with less than a year until I want to submit?

I'm caught in two minds. Do I put a lot of time and effort into this PGCTHE programme, or do I focus fully on getting my PhD and put the extra time into preparing Postdoctoral applications?

T

I'd say do it - and make the work as related to your PhD as you can and that way you will already have written some thesis material. 15,000 words won't take that long anyway.

Personally I take every opportunity that comes my way because I can't foresee the future. I advise others to do the same - it may be too late to do it when you realise you need it.

T

My University is also offering the programme. The first module starts next month and I will taking part, who knows what may happen in future. I am in first year of my PhD and I think starting this PGCTHE early will be good for me as it will be spread over a three year period.

C

I'd go for that too if I was offered the chance. Like TreeofLife says, there's a lot to be said for grabbing different types of experience while you have the chance, and HEA accreditation is a valuable thing to have.