Teaching

R

Hi guys,
Sorry for raising this question again, I am a complete novice to this area and I guess I did not phrase my question right in the first time (very good teaching qualities). Anyway, I understand that when someone is assigned to a total of x amount of hours of teaching per year, that x amount includes time for preparation, assessment and support of learning. Could anyone please clarify for me how and by whom the amount of time spent on preparation, assessment and support of learning is usually calculated? And also how one is usually assessed on the quality of one's teaching?
Most gratefully,
R

S

Your department will calculate this for you and pay you accordingly. E.g. in my department you get paid for half an hour preparation per seminar topic and paid for one hour for each 3 papers you mark. I guess that 'support of learning' is class time.
Your department will also have its own procedures for assessment of the quality of teaching- in my case students just fill out a questionnaire for the whole unit at the end of the semester and they answer questions about each lecturer/demonstrator.

N

No worries!

You have to check with your department, since it varies per uni and department. As a GTA, I have to do 6hrs/wk teaching related duties, so thats teaching, practicals, preparations etc. I usually take 1h per week as prep time, which leaves me with 5hrs for other stuff.

R

Thanks a lot indeed, guys!