The Happy Thread

D

Hi all.

We have a lot of thread/posts here dealing with "not-very-happy" moments in the PhD life. We understand that many PHDers need that, to at least solicit support from anybody in the forum. However, I thought our forum can also be very valuable if we share the happy moments of PhD/Post-doc life. Being Up, positive, optimistic and happy will surely give hope, inspiration and light in our day!

It will be very exciting to know the happy phases/stories you have. Please start posting!

dx
8-)

R

Hi Dx,

well, today the wheather is fantastic! Had an icecream on the riverbank, very enjoyable!:-)

R

Oops,

I mean: the weather!! is fantastic. Perhaps I should join this new dyslexia programme!

B

Today my co-supervisor told me on the phone that my supervisor is a p****. Made my day! Happy bunny face here!

D

I just got my PhD Studentship Offer! (gift)

It made me tremble a bit haha!

PhD life is not very alien to me (I did a similar degree before), I know the roller coaster ride a bit but I want to enjoy THE ride this time!

As one of our posters here suggested: life is short, love life, love phd can be possible!

I hope to share PhD happy moments from time to time;-)

Happy weekend8-)

S

Wow, there haven't been many takers on this thread!

I'm happy because I have just submitted a full draft of my thesis to my supervisor after working so hard all year to make the deadline I set myself. And I am going on holiday on Tuesday!

S

Wow, there haven't been many takers on this thread!

I'm happy because I have just submitted a full draft of my thesis to my supervisor after working so hard all year to make the deadline I set myself. And I am going on holiday on Tuesday!

D

I have just passed my viva with minor corrections so I am very happy! I can finally see the end of my PhD journey and am looking forward to completion. I have learnt so much throughout the last six years and am amazed at the resilience I had by continuing to study/write up with three babies under 13 months old!  I guess I have learnt a lot about myself too.

D

Dunni73, Wow, I admire anyone who completes a PhD and was delighted for you last week but I admire you even more now!!! You must have had real demands on your time while writing up but came through it with a well deserved result(up)

S

Quote From delta:

Dunni73, Wow, I admire anyone who completes a PhD and was delighted for you last week but I admire you even more now!!! You must have had real demands on your time while writing up but came through it with a well deserved result(up)

I totally agree - superwoman or what?! Over the past 6 weeks of the final write up I've struggled to even cook myself decent meals and keep up with my own washing, never mind having children to attend to! I am in awe of people who complete PhDs with these extra responsibilities.

I am happy today because I am one day closer to submission.

I just delivered a paper at the top conference for my subject, which was really well recieved last week and my writing, argument and analysis are going great. Plus my supervisor is a rare breed of fantastic - getting feedback from him feels like being at a Bowie concert and getting asked to do a duet.

But hey, that's why I haven't been knocking about on the forum for quite a while...

S

Doing a PhD is an absolute privilege, truly wonderful. I get to think and think and think and not under any pressure to act before I've thought at length. This is the luxury of researching something I'm really fascinated by. In most of my working life I had to react react react then think about it after, then while I was having a bit of a think react again. Happiness for me is time and space for thinking. When my actions are the result of considered thought it's very satisfying. Happiness is also mixing with other PhD students what a great bunch of individuals you all are. Any difference in opinion is carefully debated with points put and challenged. The PhD process is also hilariously funny and makes me laugh long and hard because of all the rituals around supervision and so forth, (more on that subject is on another thread).
My cup runneth over.

K

I'm happy because at this time, one month from today, I will just have completed my viva and will hopefully have a result! And I'm also happy because I had a peek at my first publication online earlier today and it has been cited 8 times since it was published at the end of last year....at least someone has read it! :) And two of my other publications have also just been made available online...so even amidst all the nerves and stress there are things to be happy about! Best, KB

S

I am happy because my flatmate just surprise delivered a delicious and nutritious home cooked meal to my office to see me through to the end of another 14 hour day. What a hero. (up)

D

I'm happy because I've been upgraded to 3 stars! (up) I've done no work today but will make up for it tomorrow. Tuesday's is my R & R day. I tend to be most productive on a Saturday and Sunday