The last phase....

W

I have submitted my thesis... yeaaaa... but I am going to be defending my thesis in mid-june. Anyone else submitted and going to defend?

My supervisors seem to think that I will be ok but they have also said that the viva can be a page by page discussion of your work. My thesis is 320 pages long including appendix. Even if I assume that they will only quiz me on the actual content minus the appendix, that in itself is 215 pages. How am I going to remember it all? Especially the literature review... Arghhhh!

Anyone else feeling the pressure?

W

Many congrats on submitting your thesis!! Alas I am not at that stage yet - trying to get the first draft of the whole thing finished this weekend. I remember reading some advice in one of the 'how to get a phd' books about going through your thesis and summarising the key points of your chapters, anticipating and potential viva questions and keeping a list of any typos you come across. Good luck for the viva!

V

congratulations and good luck with you Viva! They will examine you page by page only if there will be any serious problems with your thesis (at least it is what my supervisor says).

W

Update: The viva went well. I am now Dr. What2DoNext

E

congratulations!!!1

A

Congrats!!!!

Great news, congratulations. (I suppose you can now answer yes to that "any doctors on board" question). How does it feel by the way? You must be very happy. Do you feel a bit distant and unable to relax because you think that you have to be doing some work? You deserved a nice summer holiday. Enjoy

W

I actually submitted my thesis, arranged to have my viva a month after and flew away on holiday to the far east for the month. So I can't take another holiday

But I don't feel that relaxed since I am still in full-time employment with the university and instead of thesis deadlines, I now have paper deadlines!

Hopefully I am never on a flight in which a fellow passenger has a heart attach!