The last two weeks of thesis writing

L

======= Date Modified 29 17 2009 10:17:32 =======
Well Im in my last two weeks. It isn't finished, but its not bad. Im feeling very calm about it, Im not sure why I always thought I would be clawing the ceiling at this point but Im not. I have a very relaxed supervisor who keeps telling me it doesnt have to be perfect, although he is also swamped with his own work so he has given a lot over to my second supervisor for comment as well (he read it all the first couple or three times). But can I throw this out, I think we know by this point what is good writing and what is rubbish, its lovely to get pointers but Im not too concerned.

Im not sure essentially what the purpose of this message is, maybe its a help to those a while off from submission. Dont panic, it'll be alright, you will know what is good and what is rubbish. You are always much harder on your own work than anyone else and that is the main point. Its a good thing that you are the toughest on your own work because when someone else gets it their view point will be different and I think that's why its good you run it past both supervisors, different eyes pick up different issues.

So back to a point, I'm feeling an odd kind of relief. It will be handed in soon (I will have a life) I've applied for some jobs, not lecturing ones, just some which pay well in academia and will allow me the time and flexibility to deal with vivas etc. Be kind to yourself all. You don't have to have the perfect post doc job there isnt a rush, by this point we have all had such a long period of hard work its quite nice to ease the foot from the pedal.

The other side of the fence is in sight!

L

Just to say, I wrote it in paragraphs... sorry about the fact it has refused to translate it...

N

Many congratulations on getting to this stage :-)
I'm at the other end of the scale and will be starting my PhD next week. I'm feeling very excited but i'm sure the final stages of the writing must be even more exciting.
Good luck with your job applications (up)

Michelle

L

Good luck with the PhD, it can be very enjoyable don't get too stressed about it all its just a piece of writing. And don't believe the people who tell you they work 12 hours a day from their first day.
x

N

Thanks so much for the advice :-) Just think, in a few years time I could be posting something similar to your own post (well hopefully :$).

Michelle x

L

Of course you will. The main thing I've found that has held back myself and others I know is that feeling of just not being good enough, thinking it is rubbish and that everyone will think so. Its not just cut yourself a break you're there because you are good enough.