The most critical point in time...

P

BigDave -thank you for condoning the 'power nap'. I feel much better about it now. I was so stressed out yesterday and couldn't believe I went to sleep rather than tackle my work load head on. But you're right felt much better after a snooze and probably made up for the time spent asleep in terms of productivity later. Long live the afternoon snooze.

L

i'm a huge fan of the power nap! i get the 2-3pm slump so i may as well sleep through it than stair at my screen then panick about how much work i'm not doing. I also had a 'im so depressed i want to quit and live a normal life' recently, in month 28 and had spent a month just sitting stairing into screen panicking about how much i had to do and how late my chapter was. i had an honest meeting with my super and she was great really supportive, i'm now slowly building up my confidence and speed so fingers crossed i'll make it..

P

Glad to hear its all seeming a bit better lilliput

I came a cross this this morning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070131/ap_on_he_me/france_naps_at_work

Its seems the French have the right idea!

H

I can never nap unless really ill and even then it makes me feel worse.

My mum says I was really annoying when I was little as I would never take a nap in the afternoon.

Mind you, I never work in the evenings and at night unless its really urgent and running out of time.

I agree with you ULUG about the 14 month thing. Past couple of months I have been feeling really demotivated but luckily things have just picked up.

D

Four months in now and got really down over christmas. Hardly a day went by when I didnt think of quitting. Financial pressure is really intense and if I'd took a job instead of the PhD We would be so much better off. Felt guilty I was making the family suffer again because of my study. But today was a good day and I feel very motivated so its ok. To me its a day by day thing and if I can just get through each one I will cope with the full three years (or more!!)