The most impressive answer you would have given

P

what would be the most impressive answer you would expect for the question " Why do u want to do your PhD?" .... and what would you have answered!!..

I know it is entirely upto the individual;however there would be some general bits and pieces of advice for a newbie like me :-)

S

I want to further my career prospects

I really enjoy research and want to continue this in academia

K

Because i hate proper work. LOL

G

I personally believe it's important to be yourself [in the application process] so the University knows what it's getting. Better for you too in my opinion.

S

Yes, be honest. I said because I want to make a career in academia and research (which happen to be true). Nothing wrong with an answer from the heart!

P

that is the exact reason why i started this thread. I know most of them here are potential academics and sometime in future they would be interviewing candidates for PhD.. so its just visualising the Future Perfect (if i can say so? )

S

A duty to yourself or to society? What if the person simply doesn't WANT to do a PhD? Do you think that would be the 'wrong' decision for the person involved?

G

Camper...are you actually on a PhD? If not try that answer when the question is asked. It will be a quick interview. Remember they have to liaise closely with you and if you come across as a trifle [well to be honest] odd, it isn't going to endear you to them.

G

I genuinely wasn't trying to be rude. But you did come across Camper6 as a bit gung-ho. Motivated is one thing, 'Not doing a PhD isn't an option' is another altogether. Don't be offended. It's just constructive critism.

S

I can see where you're coming from camper6. I think when you get that bit older (I'm 32) you become much more aware of those "now or never" moments and that the clock is ticking. Sounds a bit morbid but you get an appreciation that you're not here for very long and that these sorts of opportunities don't come along every day. I've had to endure a further 4 years of a second UG degree to get me in position to take on a PhD in a subject that is close to my heart.

It's just up to you to stay the course. Good luck with it.

G

'I didn't have an interview.'

Sadly all the stuff I apply for gets a zillion applicants and then a shortlist of 5 or 6 [not that short really]. That said I did knock back Paisley after being offered it, so I can't complain too much.

S

see, all of you are immature!!

I see your point camper, and I really admire the mature students, they have the motivation to get through it, particularly at undergrad level where all the youngsters just get drunk and don't focus 100% on studying (me included).

All the best camper, good luck

G

Probably Camper6 because either they enjoy research and/or they think it will help their future career. If [as it possibly appears to me] that you are motivated by a desire to prove something to society [e.g. former teachers et al] regarding a lack of past achievement, you will probably find sometime down the road that society as a whole actually doesn't give a rats ass what you do with your life.

Now just because you don't like something doesn't make it immature or offensive. On forums such as this you have to roll with the punches a little. If you say stuff like I am doing a PhD 'because I know I can do it, etc..', then you are bound to be ridiculed a little [in FUN]. Take it in good spirit.

S

Hmmm. Age is not a criteria per se, and I'm not sure camper was trying to say this anyway. I think he is alluding to what other experiences you can bring to the table in your application. Hence, a few years managing projects in the commercial world can be used to impress a potnetial supervisor who is trying to decide between 50 applicants with Distinctions in their MScs.

Obviously, many things are taken into consideration but gaining useful experience and transferable skills takes a few years so by implication age can come into it.

From personal experience, I don't entirely agree on academic ability alone. As I've postulated on here before I am just completing my UG degree but was able to successfully take on Masters grads with Distinctions because my years in the commercial world had given me a whole load of skills that the stereotypical Masters grad woudln't ordinarily have. And also because my proposal happened to be very good.

My point is that a whole range of criteria come into it, academic ability merely gets your application through the first round.

G

Camper6..what r u doing you're PhD in [Dept.]?