The nocturnal workers' thread

K

Angelofthenorth we are time twins *high five*. I'm also up and dressed, have to get into office by 8.30 to do photocopying and other riveting tasks. I feel and look like a walking corpse. Hope you have a good day (sprout)

A

*high five* keepcalm.

Hope you survived your day!

I'm still working and it's going to be another late night :-(

A

Right, I've done 14 hours straight on the back of 3 hours sleep. Yesterday I did a mammoth 20 hours. I am truly shattered but the offending chapter has nearly been kicked into shape! Nighty night.

B

Well done Angelofthenorth! I've been working away over the last hour, working through more of my thesis, reading and summarising it as part of my viva preparation. Can only do so much before I need to take a break, but managed to get to page 100 just now, which is a *good thing* 8-)

K

Angel that's incredible! I feel bad complaining about my measly workload now! Hope you get some rest this weekend.

A

Right, that's another 14 hr shift. I don't know anymore whether it's been worthwhile...!

It seems that whatever I do to this chapter it has the ability to a) disappoint b) absorb time. I have to send it off to the supers tomorrow (night), at least then I'll stop faffing with it.

I just need to re-draft the conclusion tomorrow. The bugger is now under 20k (just). However, it should be nearer 15k.... :-(

A

Well, I started at 6am this morning and have finally just sent off the offending chapter.......

V. tired!

T

I feel bad even posting here after the hours you guys have been putting in. In my case I'm up late because I've achieved nothing for yet another day, I'm hoping that extreme working hours might kick me into action, if only because sheer tiredness dampens my anxiety enough that I can focus. I'm going to make coffee and convince myself that working through the night is fun.....

W

Well, 2 lectures next week. One with Master's students, so I'll have to know what I'm talking about - Shxt in a bubble bath! I may never have been hunk enough to model for Armani, but given the state of me with all these late night's I probably wouldn't even get an offer from DFS to sit on one of their couches and pose for one of their adverts any more. Still, there's always the Betterware catalogue.

T

The DFS crew are properly ODD wally! You're well out of that one.
But Betterware, hmm, you could get some useful freebies and you'd be famous amongst the OAP community for years to come - think of the opportunities for high tea and inheritance?

W

Quote From teek:

The DFS crew are properly ODD wally! You're well out of that one.
But Betterware, hmm, you could get some useful freebies and you'd be famous amongst the OAP community for years to come - think of the opportunities for high tea and inheritance?

I'm just not sure how well the academic community would view me though if they caught me modelling spider catchers or bottles of window cleaner.

T

They've all been there Wally. Behind every illustrious professor in his ivory tower there lies a wealth of dodgy small-time hustling, how else did they get so good at grant applications? In fact that's rather an amusing idea, if only there were footage of our supervisors in their past work incarnations. How much easier would it be to face your external having seen him or her greasy-haired, poorly-attired, and wiping tables in Maccy-Ds?

W

It's 11 pm, I've downed one beer and I'm still going strong! And...I've managed to get my hands on the audiobook Day of the Triffids - bonus! Party time at Walminski's! I will report back in exactly 90 minutes to update myself on my progress.

W

Choo choooooo! Feeling the thunder of tiredness now...must press on.

W

Another late night of work. Oh well...in for a penny, in for a pound.