The point of getting an MPhil?

L

Hello..

I've started my PhD (econ) a year ago and decided that it's not for me. Since academia is not my thing (wanting to work in Management and the public sector), I am now considering opting for an MPhil which in my case requires one extra year worth of hard work. The tricky thing is, I am not even 100% sure the use and point of spending another year to attain an MPhil, other than 'not to feel like a failure' (that is , providing that I will successfully complete my MPhil studies at the end of the year), and the fact that having an MPhil may open up more career opportunities - which is still uncertain as I'm craving regular contacts with people and I'm not too keen on applying to research based jobs.

Any advice will be appreciated - at the moment, I would prefer finish up whatever I've started but the idea of spending another year on something i'm not sure of is daunting..somebody convince me!

me personally - I wouldn't bother. I would try to publish what I have done - so it feels finished, but I think sometimes an MPhil just looks like a 'failed PhD' on the CV for those in the know. Although if you are not looking to go into research then maybe its a good idea so you can explain what you did with the time on your CV. Alternatively you could just explain that by saying you were a 'researcher' and leave it at that and have the publications to show for it?