The rudest thing my supervisor said was:

H

Did he get into trouble?

K

Nearly sacked apparently, had to write a letter of apology. Student left soon afterwards!

P

Leaving because someone bought you an inappropriate Secret Santa present? Seems a bit of an over-reaction to me. Expect apology sure, but quit? Not me.

P

fifi-fole: I had a look at your banana guard thingy and I have to ask - what happens when you get an oddly-shaped banana? The holder doesn't seem very practical, when bananas are often so irregularly shaped. Do you use it much? Did you buy it yourself? Do you find some bananas just don't fit? I am fascinated.

A

Piglet! Those are almost German thoughts. What happend to the Monty Python characters of this 'ol island?

M

Secret Santa usually occurs in offices at Christmas time and each person is assigned an individual to buy a present for (names are picked out of a hat) and there is a limit usually - £5. You might get something quite silly or smellies - I ended up with a pair of slipper socks the last time we did it.

S

Upon giving my supervisor a report, and before even reading it, he said it would be very useful as drawing paper for his children

B

Well, this wasn't rude so much as weird. My friend who is also supervisor to 3 PhDs is pretty stressed at the mo, and on wed afternoon, she said that she'd brought in a flask of wiskey, to "nip the edge off the afternoons". Then she asked me if I thought this was weird/unacceptable. I said that I thought it was a little. Then she said to me, "well, do you think wine would be better?"!!!

F

I have the question all the time, and surprisngly it does actually fit most (I cannot say always, as there will be on time it doesn't fit) bananas!

A

anonGerman, I love Monty Python. In fact, I'm just off to cut down the tallest tree in the forest with a herring...