The Russell Group

S

I would be cautious of applying a general rule here. A number of posts have discussed, for example, facilities (labs etc). Whereas I can see why this is relevant to more technical disciplines, it isn't as relevant to some arts, humanities or social science.
I would repeat something that I think I have mentioned before, the external examiner is also fundamental, as they are the one who actually decides whether it is PhD quality. As far as I have been informed (by the Chairman of the UK-wide Professional Body that relates to to my research (Politics)) the external is now - in that discipline - more relevant than the ranking of the Uni.

M

PhDs are all equal in theory. However, in practice, the awarding body and the subject of the PhD definitely make some PhDs worth more than others. One only needs to look at recruitment patterns to see Oxbridge generally recruit Oxbridge PhDs, the UoL general recruit from UoL PhDs, then 'new universities' generally have staff who achieved their PhDs at 'new universities', and so on. This is the biggest indication that PhDs are not all the worth the same.

I chose a lower ranked uni in favour of Cambridge for my PhD - I now come to realise that the selling power of my PhD, particularly at international level, is much lower than if I'd studied at the latter.

It's a shame we don't have gradings for PhDs because some people do pass with flying colours and others just scrap through.

V

No.

S

there's no gradings for phds in the uk? oh!

R

It's a very weak arument to claim that PhDs in the UK or any where else for that mattter are all of the same standard. I think this kind of rubbish comes from people who don't want to accept the fact that despite their best efforts at PhD level there might be other people out there who are smarter and more competant reseachers. They want to delude themselves by saying : I've passed so I must be as good as anyone else who has a PhD!!

As regards publications. I would say what's the point of doing a PhD if you don't publish (Unless of course your only doing a PhD to prove something to yourself). A PhD thesis is only ever likey to be read by a handful of people, so if you dont publish in journals your research isnt much good to anyone.