The ultimate question

C

SO...what do potential PhD supervisors look for apart from academic brilliance?

I have had 3 interviews and 3 rejections. Whenever I ask for feedback, they always say "because you dont have enough experience." Im beginning to think this is some sort of general excise used aongst supervisors. Surely my CV was read and noted that I dont have that much experience...so why call me for an interview?

Also..I have had a phone interview and then invited for an open day...and then rejected. Leaving me puzzled!

Any help would be most appreciated!!!...

P

is it a science studentship you're applying for? If so then they are very competitive and usually require a masters nowadays along with a a 2:1 or above

C

Hiya !
yes its a Neuroscience PhD. I have a 2:2 with a MSc. Both in Neuroscience

P

I cant understand why they havent offered you one then, especially if you've completed a masters, I'd say you have enough experience with both an honours lab project and masterslab project!!
maybe try a research assistant post in the meantime, you may be offered one 'in house' then. i think some phds arent even advertised but already taken by people working in the department.

C

Thanks but it doesnt really answer the question of "what do PhD supervisors look for apart from academic brilliance?"

B

Hi Cortex

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but judging by my relationship with my own supervisor...

Someone who has some interesting ideas, who has some get up and go, who has investigated the field at least a little, who has some concrete ideas they wish to pursue and an idea of what's involved in pursuing them, who is able to communicate these things and who has a hope of making themselves understood/useful in an academic setting. On top of all that... personable, knows what I'm doing as their potential supervisor, can see how their interests link with mine, has ideas about how we can work together. I think, though, that the most important thing is being able to communicate what you want to get out of PhD study and why you think that supervisor can help you get there.

P

Excellent references are a top priority I believe and also a good understanding of what it takes to undertake a phd, being humble (not being over confident), and having the personality to fit into the research group (how would you fit in and work alongside the others)

C

Thanks a lot guys..you've answered my question in its fullest and I hope to implement them in tomorrows interview.

Many thanks !!!

J

May also depend of the very specific nature of the project and the funding body. Some - perhaps most - projects will require a lot of fast thinking and constant modification, but I know one student who was taken on because the project was already outlined in full and they wanted someone who would knuckle down and do what was outlined, rather than try to get a Nobel prize, as it were. It's very variable, I think.