The 'We will get that job' post.

D

Sorry to hear that Ady - that's an unfortunate way to find out! At least they sent you an email even though they did mess it up! Most places don't even let you know! Let's hope something else will crop up!

Thank you so much for good wishes Ady. I am really sorry that it wasn't good news this time but you'll see, soon everything will be so much better. So I wish you good luck with the next one. Oh by the way, this is usually a good time for securing a place in the universities' pool for Associate Lecturers. Would you consider something like that? I don't know your subject but sometimes they are not even advertised. Or they are only advertised on university websites. Might be worth sending CVs to departments?

S

Good news at last - I've got a job! I'm very relieved and surprised as I've had many knock-backs along the way. Good luck to all of you who are currently job seeking - don't give up and keep trying - something good will be around the corner. thanks for all your support and advice over the last few months.

P

Congratulations!

J

Congratulations Scottishkelpie! I'm happy to hear the good news. How much time did it take you to find one?
Is it an academic job, or an industry one?

S

Thanks very much! I finished my last job around 4 months ago but starting properly looking for a new job around Christmas time so it has taken me a while. I've been restricted to a location which is severely lacking in science jobs though so hopefully this won't be the norm for other job-seekers. It's an academic job & looks really interesting so I'm very chuffed & feeling very lucky.

J

I see, thank you for the info. I'm happy that it worked for you. Wish you luck for your new job, very well-deserved with your patience.

D

That's great news - I'm glad it has all worked out and it gives us hope! I'm applying for all sorts of things at the moment so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

D

======= Date Modified 18 Mar 2012 10:14:32 =======
How's everyone getting on in terms of job seeking? Any more success stories?

S

I put in my first job application a week ago. My supervisor's view of my application "I don't think you stand a chance".

Good times.

D

The best we can do is try and try we must. Good luck with the application!

L

Slizor, did he/she elaborate on why? Like is it not well-suited to your research? I guess they have a responsibility not to give you high hopes.

S

Mainly my complete lack of publications. My supervisor was actually very helpful and did say, on a later version, that it was vaguely possible I might get shortlisted. Since I don't have much of a research profile, she said, my job was to sell them an idea of my future and show I have an idea of where I'm going.

N

Quote From Slizor:

I put in my first job application a week ago. My supervisor's view of my application "I don't think you stand a chance".

Good times.

I had 'well you have a chance of an interview for this job... about as much chance as I have of winning the Lottery. I don't do the Lottery.'

To be fair, even I laughed at my sup. when he said that... he was being realistic rather than mean. But I've applied for over a dozen postdocs and early-career fellowships (I'm a few months shy of submission) and haven't been shortlisted once. I'm now turning my attention to curatorial jobs (my field is art history) where I might have a little more luck.

As ever, it's the lack of publications that scuppers every application. But when exactly are we supposed to churn out 3-4 articles and get a book proposal accepted while actually writing the PhD? Nobody in academia admits that, with a few lucky exceptions, you're virtually obliged to wait a year between completing your thesis and starting your first academic job. :-s grrr

D

Just to make you laugh, I've just completed an application, am on the last page and can't apply because I can't meet one essential criteria:-s

My fault entirely though, as I didn't read the person specification (sick, sore and tired of reading them).:$