The 'We will get that job' post.

A

Maybe still worth a shot Delta...

I have interview tomorrow and I don't fulfill all their criteria. However, I admitted that on my cover letter but went on to stress that I was familiar with other software systems etc. The cover letter for that job was the quickest I ever wrote and probably the most honest as well. I finished it by saying "I hope you will consider my somewhat 'left-field' application' and it seems that they did!

You just never know

D

======= Date Modified 21 Mar 2012 15:52:45 =======
Thanks Ady. Doubtful though, as they need a full driving licence for driving in Oz.

D

Sorry Ady - I slept in there - all the best for tomorrow and good on you for putting yourself out there!

O

Hello guys,

I'm not sure whether this post is relevant. Maybe most of the people here are looking for academic jobs?

I just want to share a couple of lines about looking for a job outside academia, i think that's what academics call "office jobs."

If it helps, here is what I observed (just my own thoughts, ok? Not claiming them as a fact).

I have had about 9 interviews for 4 different companies. So I managed to get second interviews out of the first ones. But when it came to the thrid round, I wasn't selected. Then I realized somewhere in the process, I must have done something wrong.

The position I applied for is a business analysis/consulting/project management type.

I have had panel interviews and group interviews. I was even sized up with other PhD applicants.

When I asked for feedback, the companies who rejected me said "we are very impressed by your intellectual abilities but we are looking for somebody with experience."

By the fourth company to call me, I remember what the other PhDs did in the past interviews (and thought that maybe I was doing the same without even realizing it ). Here goes:

The PhDs I have seen in the interviews were very smart. The thing is, they are so wound up by their PhD, that they defined themselves with respect to the PhD (which is completely understandable, given that we've slaved day and night to write our theses). I did exactly the same mistake.

It's ok to toot your PhD horn, but remember, always speak from the point of view of the employer. Instead of sayinh "I won an award for this writing. It shows I am good." Spell it out for them: "I won an award for this writing. I am sure that I will be able to apply the same techniques as I write your reports."

I know it's a super banal advice, but it's really surprising what I saw, top PhDs with top research topics getting caught up in their own worlds.

Try not to ask questions like "what are your revenues, how many employees are there." Ask about the specific department you are applying for, how many people you will work with, who you will report to, what will they use your reports for, etc...

Anyway, i'm blabbing. Hope it helps.....

D

Actually that's really good advice and a great post. You've made some very good points and so thanks. I went to give you a star but can't because I didn't start the thread.

(up) to you!

O

Thank you Delta:-)

P

I started the post so I have clicked on helpful user on your behalf Delta.
As the post has been resurrected I thought I'd update people. I'm still working part-time in my museum job which pays the bills. It's not in the area I want to be so I feel a bit restricted and hands tied a lot of the time. But it's got me into the industry and given me contacts. I've got an interview for another museum job working with the collections next week as well.
The best thing is that I've just been offered my second course to teach for the Open University which I love doing. I'm also getting some freelance work in museum education and hope this will increase. So I am what is classed as a 'portfolio' worker now. I like the variety so I'm not sure I would like just one full time job.
So, I'm in a much better position than I was this time last year and hopefully everyone who is still applying for jobs will be. Good luck.

D

Thanks Pamw and thanks for letting us know. I did wonder how you were getting on and since I know you went through the mill for a long time it's good to know things have improved for you. Great news and I'd be a bit like you I'd like a mixture of stuff, if possible.

D

Congrats Pam - it's good to hear things have improved. I'm in much the same position as you so there's nothing for it but to get those publications out as I keep getting told. Though I'm not sure how I am supposed to fit them in except during evenings and weekends!!!! It reminds me too much of my thesis!!!! Good luck with everything! We'll get there! (up) 8-)