The what I have left to do thread...

W

Meth...od...ology - oh how I hate thee! I've put it off long enough - and I've got to do it. So far today, I have made zero progress with it. Bad day, I suppose. I'm les miserable and tired, sick of sitting in front of a computer, only a cup of Yorkshire tea for company. My word document a barren landscape, when will the rainy season of my methodology writing come?

J

Update...

Title page = done
Acknowledgements = done
Abstract = 50% done
Contents page = 80% done
Silly quote from poem = done
Preface = 70% done
Ch 1: Context/ Introduction = done
Ch 2: Lit review 1 = done
Ch 3: Lit review 2 = done
Ch 4: Methodology = done
Ch 5: Findings and discussion 1 = done
Ch 6: Findings and discussion 2 = done
Ch 7: Findings and discussion 3 = done
Ch 8: Findings and discussion 4 = done
Ch 9: Conclusion = 0% done
References = done
Appendices = done

:-)

B

Quote From jinkim65:

Update...

Title page = done
Acknowledgements = done
Abstract = 50% done
Contents page = 80% done
Silly quote from poem = done
Preface = 70% done

You know, it's interesting the different orders that people do things in ;-) I left the above stuff until I'd finished (well so I thought - supervisor thought differently!) my conclusions chapter. Then I had a great splurge and did the title page, and contents, and acknowledgements. Was mighty nice to see those done: made it look nearly finished! Left the abstract until a few days before submission though, especially because it was written largely based on my final conclusions, which I was still ruminating over right up until the very end.

J

I was ill over xmas and couldn't bare the thought of doing "actual" work, so did all the little bits like acknowledgements, etc so I felt like I was still achieving something. It made it feel like it was all coming together. I've been on a roll since then!

B

Quote From jinkim65:

I was ill over xmas and couldn't bare the thought of doing "actual" work, so did all the little bits like acknowledgements, etc so I felt like I was still achieving something. It made it feel like it was all coming together. I've been on a roll since then!

It certainly was achieving something, and I remember how much such things made me feel I was getting near the end too. Well done for keeping going over Christmas. Good luck for the final straight!

J

Hi all,
I'm a newbie.. well long time lurker first time poster. Have decided to post my own weekly updates to try and encourage mysellf to get this b****y thing finished! :)
Just looking over what some of you have left to do and might I say you all seem to be doing quite well. I commend you for writing up while still doing your experimental work! I know I didn't manage that at all (due to laziness I might add!).
So I finished my lab work in early 2008 and am now writing part-time and working full-time. Is anyone else in that position? I'd love to be ableto write full-time but student debt/mortgages don't go well with the dole!
Ok so where i am at the mo:

Acknowledgements/Title page/: 100%
Abbreviations: 0%
Chapter 1: Lit review: 10%
Chapter 2/Paper 1: 100% but i now hear requires re-formatting for submission to particular journal
Chapter 3/Paper 2: 100% but awaiting corrections
Chapter 4/Paper 3: 50% will require many drafts no doubt!
Chapter 5/Paper 4: 30% as above!
Chapter 6/Paper 5: 30% as above!
Conclusions: 0%
Refs: 0% but copy and paste job from papers so no biggie

Have two papers (chapters 2 and 3 above) nearly reaady for submission (and possibly subsequent rejection!) by the end of March hopefully. My current fees will allow me to submit until end of June 2010.. which by my calculation is 16 weeks i.e. not long. I think it's do-able but I really only have about 22 hours a week to commit to it.
My supervisor is quite unsupportive and takes his sweet time to return drafts (he has had paper 2 for 3 weeks now) so I'm not feeling optimistic. He is also not convinced that the work is original enough despite him writing the proposal and supervisoring the work albeit from a distance and intermittedly so he keeps hinting that further work may be necessary.
Anyhoo I'm sure I can get it done if I get the finger out!
best of luck to you all

S

hello! I have leftover chicken to eat tonight
:-) satchi

C

This thread makes me panic a bit. everyone's told me to write up as I go along but I've been incapable of doing it! If I listed my chapters (and I'm not ever sure what the chanpters are) they'd all be 0% done. funding runs out Oct 2010, still collecting a lot of data and fantasising about winning the lottery and jetting off for a year!

W

Methodology now, erm, 65 % complete.

W

Methodology will be 75 % complete, in first draft form, by the end of today.

A

Thought i'd revive this thread to see what progress i've made since then - very depressing that in 50 days all i've done is finish chapter 2 and intro/M&M for chapter 3, but i am actually feeling quite proud, so not going to get disheartened! :)

Quote From alpacalover:

Hey Wally, do not worry, tbh looking at it I think that's quite feasible, 9 months is still plenty time really...! Like Poppy said lots of it only comes together in last year, mine is lab work based but all my results except for first chapter came together in last 9 months of lab work.  and then apart from bit of intro and materials and methods hadn't written anything! so here's what i've done and still left to do by May/June (would be ace!)

Chapter 1 - Introduction - 2nd draft just sent to sup for final rewrite
Chapter 2 - intro - 90% complete - DONE
              M&M - done
                Results - done (but sup may want extra analysis when he see's it - i'm praying not!)
Discussion - just started this week - looking rubbish so far - maybe 5% done! - DONE
Chapter submitted to sup!

Chapter 3 - intro - 20% complete- DONE
M&M - actually only 80% - DONE
Results - done (but again sup may want extra analysis when he see's it - i'm praying not!)
Discussion - 0%
Chapter 4 - intro - 0%
M&M - 90% done
Results - got half of them, mostly unanalysed and can't get half the data cos machine broken and no money in lab! Discussion - 0%
Chapter 5 - intro - 0%
M&M - 80% done
Results - most of analysis done but all needs putting into document and tidying up, possibly further analysis
Discussion - 0%
Chapter 6 - final discussion - 0%

Ok, seeing it like this is even scarier!!! :(
i'm just waiting to be picked up from work - and i'm going home to work!!!

you'll be fine Wal, just keep plugging away and we'll get there!

W

Cat Stevens! 35 days since I last posted on this thread and I have virtually nothing to add! Alpacalover, I know you didn't mean it, but you may as well have put on a dirty big Doc Martin boot and kicked me up the rear, like my supervisors will doubtless do at my next meeting.

A

oops! :$
(gift) here's a box of vaseline to heal the wound ;) if it makes you feel any better my 50 day gap in much progress has also given me a kick up the ass, i've been not stopped staring at the screen since i posted and am going to have a naughty fag and doing a couple of nocturnal hours while the rocket is still up me bum! :)

I hope it hasn't stressed you too much, but then i guess this is what our accountability threads are for....! have a hug (((AL)))