thesis length

E

Hi all!

As I am currently writing up (and really struggling with it) I was wondering, when it is said that the thesis should be up to 80,000 words, what is the lowest limit?
My university does not clarify that and my supervisor told me to aim for 80,000.....but what if I can't reach it (as I think I won' be able to)?

D

How many pages is 80,000 words - about 320? At my uni, the minimum is 200 pages, maximum 350 pages. Although it's tempting to obsess over word count, maybe right now you should focus on getting the thesis on paper and saying what needs to be said. I doubt your supervisor would ask you to add fluff just to thicken the manuscript. Some chapters will require more details and explanation than others, so fluffing won't even be necessary. What I'm trying to say is focus on quality, not quantity.

The advice I received was to write as though the audience knows nothing about the topic, and explain everything as clearly, and thoroughly as possible. Once you get going, you'll be surprised by how fast you reach 300 pages.

A

======= Date Modified 19 May 2012 21:36:59 =======
Hi Emmaki

Try not to stress about it too much. Initially I was worried mine was too long, then too short but in the end, after all the edits, revisions, tears ;-)mine came in at 82,800, 277 pages. Guide length in my uni is 80,000-100,000 words. I know somebody who passed [very successfully] with a word count of ~73,000.

Usually in the end it all comes together(up)

S

Hi Emmaki,

As the others have said, try not too stress too much about word length and focus on quality. I aimed for 10,000 chapters but one in particular has over 12,000 and another just over 7,000. Just remember that guidelines are just that, guidelines. The content is so much more important!

How many words do you think you'll be getting?

E

======= Date Modified 20 May 2012 14:22:38 =======
Now that I have almost written my first draft, I am at 67,000. I think I can stretch that to 70,000....but no more....

I forgot to say that I am in social sciences

A

Quote From emmaki:

======= Date Modified 20 May 2012 14:22:38 =======
I forgot to say that I am in social sciences

As am I - have you truly spelt out your contribution to knowlege - always a few words in that;-)

S

You're not that far out. Could you ask a very nice friend to have a read through and see if they can think of anything else you could add/expand on?

How many chapters have you got? How long are they?

B

Limits vary by university and department, so I think the best people to ask would be your supervisor(s).

However limits are not set in stone. They are always flexible. And examiners will always prefer quality over quantity. And I was told they will always prefer a too-short well-written thesis than a way-too-long-one.

My department wanted 80-100,000 words. I came in at just over 70,000 words. I was told by multiple staff not to worry about it. I passed with minor (typo) corrections. So take that as an encouraging story :-)

E

======= Date Modified 20 May 2012 16:36:45 =======
I have (give or take a few words):

Intro: 9,000
Theory1: 9,000
Theory2: 6,000
Methodology: 12,000
Analysis1: 9,000
Analysis2: 11,000
Analysis3: 6,000
Conclusion: 5,000

I believe I can stretch my theoretical chapters a little bit more so that they get at 10,000 and 8,000 words respectively and I can have 70,000....

I have also included my contribution to knowledge and have told quite a few about the historical background of my study, because it is necessary in order to understand the country and the context....

It is very difficult for me to find someone to read it, as I am Greek, living in Greece and my thesis is in English.... I have planned to give it to someone who is native speaker of English just to check grammar and for typos, but not the content...

Full of problemssssssss

E

Quote From BilboBaggins:

Limits vary by university and department, so I think the best people to ask would be your supervisor(s).

However limits are not set in stone. They are always flexible. And examiners will always prefer quality over quantity. And I was told they will always prefer a too-short well-written thesis than a way-too-long-one.

My department wanted 80-100,000 words. I came in at just over 70,000 words. I was told by multiple staff not to worry about it. I passed with minor (typo) corrections. So take that as an encouraging story :-)

That's really encouraging!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!