Thesis resubmission cover letter

H

Hi Folks,

I have recently completed my thesis corrections and I am hoping to submit asap - a summer graduation would be lovely! I receiver minor corrections although the situation was slightly complicated as I was 36 weeks pregnant when I had my viva so the examiners gave me 12 months in which to complete them. This was also because although they were classed as minor corrections, there was more to do than just a few weeks work - the discussion chapter required fairly substantial revisions and there was an additional statistical analysis they asked me to include also (my field is psychology). In the end it has taken me the best part of 4 months (although that has been working on it only in the evenings when the baby is in bed and my sleep deprived brain does not function as well as it did before!)

Anyway, I have created a cover letter to send to the examiners with my revised thesis, which is essentially a table with 3 columns - one listed the requested correction, one with the changes I have made, and one with the page numbers where the revisions can be found. However, I am unsure what else to put in the letter - so far it is just the table and I know I need a bit of blurb before and after but I just have no idea what else to say. So I was after a bit of advice from anyone that is in the know and who has written a resubmission cover letter that was successful in getting the changes accepted. Any advice would be most gratefully received, thanks! :-)

A

Hi Hannie

Congrats on reaching resubmission stage and also on the new baby:-)

If you feel the table explains all the corrections adequately I would briefly introduce it as you would in-text for any article. Perhaps something like - "The attached table details the corrections and revisions made to my thesis. It lists the requested correction, the changes made and the page number of each change to the original thesis".

If you made an overall change to your argument, I would outline this in your cover letter and then direct the examiner to the table. In the first column of your table, I would copy exactly how each correction was phrased as it is likely they will assess your resubmission against what was said in the examiners' report.

Best of luck with your resubmission(up)

H

Thanks very much Ady, great advice and very gratefully received :-)

I'm just waiting for the go ahead from my supervisors and I'll be resubmitting asap - then I can get on with life and enjoy my baby son!!!

Thanks again (up)