THESIS SUPERVISOR!!!

I

Hi all,

I will soon apply for PhD and I have a big concern; the thesis supervisor. I think that during one's PhD, a good supervisor plays a key role; good, in terms of scientific abilities, and also good in terms of his/her approach to the student. For the scientific part; I suppose it is easier to have an idea, as you can check the papers etc. Yet, character-wise, if you write to professors online, then apply and then go, start working with him/her; a surprise is waiting. In the same country, there's a chance to ask around, but if the professor's in a far away place; how can one take precautions? What do you suggest?

T

Hey Istanbul Girl just for moral support I have had exactly the same thoughts/reservations as yourself. What's worse is I want to do my PhD at the very institution I am studying my Master's at just now and still haven't found someone I would be 100% comfortable working with. I am halfway through my Master's as I am studying it part-time and will have to start emailing prospective supervisors very soon. It's a nightmare. I just haven't found the perfect match yet. I am told the perfect match does not exist. I think I will have to make compromises no matter what happens. It sucks.

I

Hi Timmy! I hope everything turns out well for you and me and everyone in search of that good, understanding supervisor! Of course there's no perfect match, or if there is, it happens only for a few really lucky fellas! I hear stories about supervisors who almost 'bully' the student; think they can say everything just because they've got the power, or exploit the student by making him/her work too hard, and do not provide the necessary support when it comes to writing reference letters or helping him/her with postdoc issues and so on. I have hard many cases about the supervisor discouraging the student, or leaving him/her completely lonely about the problems in the thesis, saying harsh things if there's a mistake, and things like that.

I just want someone who is possible to communicate with, and who can do the necessary guiding about the scientific problem.

Let me know Timmy, if anything nice to hear about happens! (And I wonder which country are you searching for PhD positions in?)

Anyone else? with something to say ?

T

One of the most relevant academics to my research at my University, who often ends up marking my essays (and giving me good grades - he has given me two Merits so far and the last Merit was one mark off a Distinction) is the most arrogant and condescending piece of work I have ever met in my life. He writes one line of positivity on my feedback forms and then goes on a rant about what I could of done instead saying things like "Why didn't you use this methodology instead", or, "I don't agree with your thesis". None of it affects me because he is just another traditionalist with nothing useful to say. In fact it spurs me on to work even harder.

I don't believe in hope or luck but thanks for having good will towards me. I will do everything in my power to get a good supervisor, but I have a feeling I will end up with Mr Arrogant and Condescending described above.

I'm not really bothered because all I need is guidance on how to structure my PhD thesis (even that there are plenty guidance books on) and I will just argue against everything and anything he brings up to threaten my thesis with. I am not scared of him. I am a better writer and have better ideas than him anyway.

I am in Scotland and I doubt I won't get a position at my current University.

B

Ideally you want someone who isn't regimental and pushing their research agenda at all costs (i.e. to the students), but not indifferent and distant. If you can get a supervisor who is somewhere in the middle, you will do well.

Having a good associate supervisor (or two) isn't a bad idea either, especially if they are well versed in some technical aspect of your thesis.

T

There's really not a lot you can do about ensuring you find a decent supervisor. You can really only go on first impressions at an interview, and often people behave differently in interviews, so it's not easy to gauge.

Even if you talk to other PhD students at an interview, they are probably not going to be very honest about their supervisor. The best you can do is guess whether their responses are genuine and whether they are leaving a lot unsaid.

The best advice I can give is to learn to manage your supervisor from an early stage. Work out what they like and what they don't and adapt your behaviour accordingly. You can't change them, but you can change your response to their actions, and it's easier if you learn these things early.

G

In my experience even if you get a great supervisor there's no guarantee they won't go elsewhere during your phd. A phd takes a long time start to finish, so it is worth bearing in mind what a potential supervisor's career trajectory might be. ALso, do not automatically assume that they will stick with you even if they leave, certainly this does happen, and sometimes very effectively, but in my own experience there is no mechanism to ensure that you will actually get any help out of a supervisor at another institution.

My constructive advice would therefore to be look for an institution that supports your subject area, ideally with more than one member of staff and one or two research groups which are applicable to you, that way you have options if you find your supervisor is not great for any reason, and if anyone leaves, their replacement will likely have similar expertise.

I

Thank you very much for your valuable advice!