Thinking of doing a PhD need advice! Please Help

C

Hi there

I graduated in 2005 with a 2.1 in marketing and computer science. I have been working behind a desk in an organisation for two years now and I hate it!.No interaction with anyone but my computer!
I am seriously considering a career in lecturing and wanted to get opinions about it. I was thinking of undertaking a PhD in marketing. I had an interest in this at uni and I loved my marketing department.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated life? job prospects? quality of life? starting salary what teaching is like downsides?

Thanks!

S

a PhD means at least 3 years of interaction with no-one but a computer

S

Well, a PhD is rarely a path to riches, particularly as you are considering becoming a lecturer. If you choose this route, you do it because you it's something you really want to do (you need all the motivation you can get to survive the rollercoaster ride that is PhD).

The hours (PhD and lecturing) are often quite long but very rewarding, i.e., you do this job because you love what you do rather than the money. I'm 6 months into my Phd and I love every minute of it.

G

I think marketing could be one of 'those areas' where industry expereince is also necessary if you intend to establish an academic career (?) Something to enquire into.

H

Are you in touch with anyone from your old department? Personal tutor etc? Drop them a line and see what they say.