Thinking of PHD

B

Hello everyone,

this is my first thread so please do not hit me hard if subject was raised many times before.

I am thinking of doing part time PHD in politics and been playing with this idea for a while, since I finished my MSc, but couldn't pick up the courage. Still have doubts hopefully you might help.
I have a baby daughter and thinking of having another one in a couple of years. Am I being realistic in thinking about phd in these circumstances or i should put it off. I am incredibly hard working when it comes to multitasking, but I still think that I might be a bit too optimistic and don't really get how hard it is to study and having a family and perhaps doing part time academic work as well.

Thanks for your thoughts on that, no matter how critical.

S

I have a 3 yr-old and I'm now writing up. From what I've seen, people cope really differently - some better than others. I think part-time is very doable even with 2 kids (I know a couple of people who had 2 kids during thier PhDs - both got through - but one got divorced!). Afterall, many women work full and part-time with kids. When you actually have your 2nd you might need to take a break for a while though. Do you have a partner or family to help out? I assume you will have some child care as well.

J

hi. i have doubts too. from reading the posts on here, i now am feeling thats a normal feeling, having insecurities. iv got my offer and i start in jan and i have kids... though they're teenagers. but i am a single parent and have been through both my bachelors and my masters and iv got this far. i let things slip, like housework etc. i even cook ready freezer meals and i feel such a bad mum but thats how i managed and how i will manage. im so glad when i read posts like urs cos i realise im not the only one and we can all do it.. we'll all get there. chin up xxx