Thinking of quitting my PhD

J

Hi everyone, I'm just after a bit of advice.

I started an Engineering PhD 1 year ago, it's a scholarship and I'm sponsored through a company which means that it's well paid. I am based completely in the company office.

It started out quite well, I enjoyed the first few months. Since then, it's gone downhill. I don't like working at the office, there is no lab work, my supervisor at the company wants me to do loads of stuff that I am not interested in and aren't anything to do with what I studied (engineering). Basically I've lost all my motivation and feel that I would be much more suited to a job in a fast-paced industry. I find myself bored at work and don't like the isolation. I'm under quite a bit of pressure at the moment and my supervisor has basically told me to do loads of stuff I'm not interested in for our next meeting.

On the other hand, it's better paid than any jobs I looked at, which is the main reason I've stayed this long. I don't have any other jobs lined up or anything.

I feel a bit guilty that I'm not being productive, but I have no motivation at all and just want to give up. I hate to be ungrateful as it is a good opportunity but I don't feel like it's for me.

Anyone else in the same situation?! Any advice would be appreciated.

M

Hi, if you are D. Eng it suppose to be heavily influenced by the company who funds the project and spending your majority of the time within the company.

All the best

S

Do not quit unless you have something else lined up - by which I mean a firm offer. It is much more difficult to gain employment when unemployed than it is to get a new job when you are employed. Keep at it and also keep an eye out for other opportunities. Quitting and being unemployed is simply an awful option so don't do it.

You may find that the work improves after a few months or you may find an amazing job that you would prefer to do. Either way, the decision is for the future. I always have an eye out for any jobs that are about wherever and whenever I am working in case I see something that is truly fantastic. Happily I have enjoyed the jobs I have been doing enough to continue with them. Keep your eye out and you might see something. If you do then go for it, if you don't then at least you are not unemployed.