Thinking of quitting

P

i know how you feel! my PhD is in a different field to my interests, background, training-so I'm finding it very hard and very intense.
My PhD is related, but only marginally. Might be a strength though-different way at looking at things

M

missspacey, *pineapple*, PC_Geek, Smilodon,
thanks for kind responses.
But I don't understand why "some people view a PhD as a very long master's thesis..." "is very, very wrong"?
This is an average week of MA student (as I can see):
- 4-5 workdays is:
-- 09.00 till 14.00 in university;
-- 15.00 till 18.00 - dinner and a rest;
-- 19-00 till 23.00 - homework (with papers) and homework (with b(g)/f) ;)
- 1-2 workday - self-instruction and/or homework.
- 1 day - shoping, washing, cooking, rest, etc.
Tell me please, what lifestyle can be much harder?

Sorry me my english.

J

In comparison, the PhD lifestyle takes three or four times as long, and instead of going to bed at 11 you will probably have to pull a considerable amount of all nighters. I counted mine: 150 in total. Next day starting early again. When I did my Masters I thought it is really tough, but how clueless was I with regard to the workload and insecurity at PhD level.

V

The main difference between the two for me has been the standard expected- at PhD level you are expected to write like an 'academic', and it's not particularly easy. The hours etc., might not be very different, but the knowledge, judgement, analysis and so on is on a completely different level.

S

The fact is it varies a lot for many reasons. I worked much longer hours for my masters and I think a lot of people found the one year courses very intense. I certainly couldn't keep that up for 3 years. The PhD varies much more. You go into your topic in more depth so there maybe parts that are more challenging. And you have to sustain motivation and interst over a long time - and that can be very challenging. I've never worked all night. I did it the night before my masters was submitted. But I think if you really have to organise your time better you usually can - and with a young child, I really have to. I can't work all night then get up her up at 7 am and take her to the park the next morning. I don't know anyone who works through the night and believe me, my colleagues work pretty dam hard.
I think it really is different to a masters though. You can do just about anything for just a year.

P

'But I don't understand why "some people view a PhD as a very long master's thesis..." "is very, very wrong"?'

Wouldn't know I'm afraid dude... never did a Masters

J

I agree with all the previous posters. Working all night might be my personal "problem issue", but even that was only in the writing up phase. What I found more challenging is the constant criticism and insecurity for such a prolonged period of time.

O

The PhD is long, huge, and unstructured. The journey of the research is or can be filled with false starts, blind alleys, re-thinking of basic problems and formulations. I think a taught masters has structure undreamed of in a PhD, there is no or little class schedule, you set your research schedule ( to a greater or lesser degree--of course I am sure this is different for instance with lab settings)--you have to operate independently, to say the least.

I think for me a saving grace has been a perhaps over the top work ethic--and habits from working professionally before starting the PhD. I make myself get up and work on things as if it were a job ( which in a very real sense it is).

O

I need a lot of self-imposed structure to keep working on things...and I make myself do it whether I "feel" like it or not. Perhaps I could do with some additional breaks here and there...and I am trying to fit those in...but the task of the PhD is monumental and abstract and long...and its down to you in so many ways to get it done. That I think is the difference between a PhD and a masters level degree.

S

Jouri - I feel very similar with a small change: 'What I found more challenging is the total ''lack of feedback'' and insecurity for such a prolonged period of time.'

Agree Olivia - the biggest test is in self-organisation and drive. I could never have been this disciplined in my 20s. I salute all those who are so much younger and have that kind of ability.

S

I agree with many of the posters. I think the hardest thing is maintaining the momentum, it is often very much like a rollercoaster - with the slightest thing bringing you back up when you are down.

I find it is often a fear of failure in the absence of the visible assessments (such as module assessments in an Masters) that is daunting, and can do so almost to the point where you freeze. Sometimes you just have to go for it - i'm trying to get clinicians to help me and get things peer reviewed and put off the ethics application - but i know i'll have to do it.

Anyway, off at a tangent there.

but yeah, the consistent self-motiviation is hard. And by the way, if you become an academic researcher this can continue. I know people who have threatened to throw in the towel on such a career, but then they get some more funding and the rollercoaster starts again.