Thinking of "sacking" my supervisor

K

I'm in my 4th writing up year, have 2 supervisors, and kept to all deadlines throughout. I am not happy at the mo. I'm re-drafting my thesis for the third time. Don't get me wrong, there's no way I expected it to be perfect before. First draft was bad, but the second was better and I was happy with it. However supervisors said it was unacceptable. I was gutted, but agreed to meet weekly with one of them to go through smaller chunks at a time. I find her advice really constructive. The other one is frequently away and does not return chapters to me as quickly. When they do come back they're littered with stylistic alterations that are splitting hairs. If I accepted all the corrections, I feel the work would no longer be my own. I feel that whatever I do is just never going to be right for him. At this stage I'm not finding it helpful to have 2 sets of different corrections back and I'm thinking of just continuing with one supervisor instead, for my own confidence and peace of mind. Anyone else been in a similar position? What did/would do? Any advice appreciated.

E

if u can do it.... then go for it./

E

the good thing with urs ... is that you are bound to have someone that your close to and is on ur side. if u have 2 that are best mates... then it maybe difficult.

C

Surely you don't have to actually sack a supervisor to just get one person to read a thesis. It is your thesis in the end. If anything like my supervisor he will be happy of any excuse not to read it! Academics do seem to run on a slow timescale and not by deadlines so much, so maybe you just have to accept it will take longer than you anticipated?