Third month of PhD and I'm considering quitting :(

S

Anyway, if I were sitting merely in my lab I would have by now gotten the absolute feeling of being anti-social and non-communicative. Meeting many friends and having a great time with them in my spare time proves me wrong here - what a blessing. So I've come to that conclusion that after having finished my PhD I'll go for a job where I won't sit in front of a PC staring at the screen and dealing with the same kind of people all day.
Most probably you've got a strong personality the others won't respect . Nobody ever hits a dead dog. Although I wouldn't communicate it this way to my colleagues, I wouldn't try to make too "nicey-nicey" with them and undermine my personality this way. I'd rather draw reassurance from the fact that I've got a whole bunch of friends outside of work I can get along great with.
PS: I can not see why msg's are limited to 200 words only in this forum when it's for the sake of people's wellbeing.

D

Unfortunately, I am in the lab 8 hours a day unless I've got something to write up or read. So whatever way I decide to take it, I've got to put up with the atmosphere. I'm currently being 'nicey nice' just to see if it's a pure 'acceptance' thing into the research group. If it continues then I'll know it's personal I suppose. I've decided to take a holiday to clear my head and decide what I really want to do with the situation. I think I'll grit my teeth get on with the work and hope that the atmosphere lifts. If in a years time nothing has changed and I'm completely miserable then I'll just take the MPhil that I'm working towards in my first year instead of transferring it over to continue with the PhD. Does that sound like an acceptable decision guys? I'm so confused, you work so hard to get somewhere, you get there and happy with what you're doing and then there's people out there that want to make you miserable grrr!

T

well, I don't think people NORMALLY like to make others miserable, especially there are a bunch of them there. someone may be an ass, but the whole group?..
honestly, just sitting there may not solve any problem; initiatively may do the trick. Can you join them for coffee or something? and try to find an easy breaker like someone who shares the same interest as you do.
anyway, it seems weirdly difficult; which country are you in? some countries have the trait of being quiet but actually not that bad; you just need to be initiative, like a boy approaching a girl