Third Year Blues...

A

Don’t know if anyone else is going through this or has been in a similar situation but here goes. Currently in my third year (science PhD), with 6 months left and I’m in a state of perpetual fear. I honestly don’t believe I’ve got enough results at the moment to pass. My project has taken a long time to get sorted and although I have got some results (although I’m not keen on them), there is nowhere near enough. Colleagues of mine have papers coming out of their ears, I have 1. I’m terrified of writing up. Any advice?

K

Might not be able to advise you, but can reassure you that you're not alone. I've got 3 months left, no papers, few results, and am finding it impossible to write (my internet being down for over 2 weeks hasn't helped ). It took me a year to optimise an assay and I've had very little supervision, in fact my supervisor wouldn't believe me when I pointed out the project was based on a fallacy anyway! Guess all you can do is give it your best shot and realise that most people seem to feel inadequate and think they don't have enough data, but still get through.