This is the end.......

C

How on earth do you end a PhD? All I have left to do is write a final paragraph to draw this to a close, get word to make the contents page, then I can print and bind this thing. But I just can't seem to write it.

The other theses I've looked at have a final paragraph summarising the thesis. But I feel I've kinda already done this. My Supervisor thinks I should go down a 'life, the universe and everything' route, talking about what I've learnt, how wonderful I am, how I am passionate about research or something like that. This doesn't seem quite right either. I feel I'm writing a statement for a job application!

He's put some chiched statements in the margin like "raised as many questions as its answered" and "highlights the power and limitations of......." .. except I kinda feel I've more highlighted the limitations than the power!

i wish I'd spent the last four years searching for a perfect quote to finish up on. Sadly I didn't. Any tips would be gratefully received. I have to get this done first thing tommorrow.. eeek!

T

My last section of my discussion chapter was kind of policy implications and I just ended with that.....one of my proof readers (a senior researcher) commented that she would have liked an overall concluding paragraph but I just couldn't think of anything as I felt I had already given a good summary of results earlier in discussion and so would just have been repeating myself. I felt very rushed towards the end and I felt I would rather have no final summary paragraph than a rushed, poorly written one (and I figure I can always add one post-viva when my brain will hopefully be clearer!). Anyway, after a couple of stressful days doing last minute amendments and printing I finally submitted this morning - hasn't quite sunk in yet. I have to move and start new job in a couple of days so I think until then stress levels wont come down much! Good luck with the final stages and printing - I hope it all goes well :-)