This is why I'm running mine through turn it in!

H

Quote From dunni73:

This is a good point Jepsonclough, if you use Turnitin for your own peace of mind prior to submission and then the uni puts the electronic version through as part of their plagiarism detection it would be a very high match!!!! I guess you would need to advice them that you have used the software previously and perhaps have a record of the originality report for the uni. An interesting issue though.(up)

This was brought up at a course I attended recently and I think they said there's a sort of dummy-submission process where you can pre-check something before the uni do a full submission and check, so that you don't end up plaigiarising yourself.

We were also warned that it's not unusual for non-plaigiarised material to get quite a lot of matches now as there is so much material on there and only so many ways of saying certain things. So this shouldn't just be judged with algorithms - and don't freak out if there is some degree of matching when you haven't done anything wrong! Just check with someone that the level of matching is ok.