Threats from supervisor

Y

Dear community,
I'm currently a pre-comps PhD supervisor and would really appreciate your thoughts on a situation. I'm anticipating that my supervisor will threaten my PhD candidacy and make threats against me if I don't follow his every instruction, some of which I'm incredibly uncomfortable with. In order to cover my own back, I'm considering audio-taping our next online meeting where I expect him to really show his true colors.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
YGTger

T

Isn't it illegal to make recordings of someone without their knowledge? I don't think that is going to be the most effective solution.

Why would he threaten you? And why don't you want to follow his advice?

@YGTger- the 'community' would really need to understand the background before advising; and it sounds like that might come close to identify you in doing so? Certainly sounds bizarre though; professional supervisors tend not to purposefully sabotage their own candidates' chances.

@ToL- that's one of those elements of law that varies by jurisdiction. IIRC, in the UK it's not illegal to make such recordings, but it would be to publish them without consent. Elsewhere might be diferent (the USofA springs to mind).