Time Required!

A

Hi! I'm just wondering something fairly basic actually, I'm disputing whether to do an EdD or a PhD. Is anyone doing an Education PhD- how much time are you spending at uni. / in schools/writing up at home per week? Thanks, this will really help with my decision.

W

I'm not sure you're query can be answered since a PhD is a very individual experience, like I imagine an EdD is.

R

Yes I think Walminski has a point - it really depends on the person! But I always got the impression that the EdD and PhD were at the same level, just different letters - so I imagine there would be the same amount of work involved in both? I don't think one would necessarily be easier than the other...

A

Thank you both for your replies. I agree, I don't think that the EdD will be easier, it's more a case of how to fit the rest of my life around study! As you say, they are individual experiences and I will have to contact potential supervisors directly. Thanks again.

M

Isn't an EdD a 'professional PhD' i.e., it involves some training/structured study (possibly not). Thus, a PhD would give you greater flexibility to work at home etc.

J

I think the EdD is more often based round practical things, involving action research and classroom work, etc. and may have more taught areas, whereas a PhD in an area of education may be more theoretical and therefore more like any other PhD in the humanities. I don't think there would be much difference in the amount of time needed overall, but the pattern of the work may be different For example if the EdD involves work directly with children you may need more time actually in schools, so you could find your work dictated by school terms and this would in turn affect the rhythm of the workload to a greater extent than a PhD in another area with no such restrictions. My research is in education, but not directly linked to the pupils, so I have the opposite problem, I work harder on my subject during the holidays as during term time I have more things to do relating to my work in school. you may find it more useful to look at it from this angle as it may give you an idea which pattern will be best for you.