Timescale for writing conference paper

P

How long does it take people to write conference papers? I will have to write one in a very short space of time as I have had other priorities to work on and now I am getting worried I wont be able to do it. I am having a short lunch break at the moment, hence I feel I can justify being on this forum instead of writing my conference paper!

S

how is it going with the paper?

i guess it depends what background work you've already done. in february i "wrote" a conference paper literally the morning before i was due to speak. it definitely was NOT the best i ever did but like you, i had had other priorities and suddenly time was very short, and then i got the noro-virus a day before i had to get on the plane.

sometimes i think i should have cancelled the thing. but then i argue to myself that like everyone else, i'm human, not always at my best, and will sometimes deliver mediocre (at best) work. if you can live with that, it makes life easier!

good luck!

P

Wow, I actually managed to write my paper at 6am this morning. I had already put the powerpoint slides together last night. I was presenting at 9.30am and I was there and ready. People asked loads of questions and spoke to me afterwards saying it was interesting and it was an interdisciplinary conference so even people who knew nothing about my subject were interested. I am so proud of myself for managing to get everything done in time and to a reasonable standard. I feel that I can take on anything now but think I am going to relax this evening with a glass of wine.

S

congratulations!