Tips for meeting with supervisor

K

So I'm one year in and I have a meeting with my supervisor about what to do next at 4pm. I have some good results to tell him that basically mean the first part of my project is finished so I need a new direction. He is really hard to pin down and although he is massively enthusiastic about everything it's hard to know what he really intends on following through.

I've spent a year doing things quite removed from what I applied for and really want to get back on track. I'm a bit confused about how much I control my PhD, nothing I have done so far relates to the advertised position. How much can I insist on what I want to do at this stage and how much do I just have to do what he says? I don't really mind about specifics I just want to be learning certain techniques which I haven't been doing so far. Any tips on getting hte best out of this meeting?

C

Be prepared, have a list of points to go through. Even rehearse if you need to! Try and pin him down to and give you ideas of time limits etc. Schedule the next meeting at that one with a target maybe.
If you come up with good suggestions, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do them. You're supposed to be an independent researcher by the end, but still need guidance as you're there to learn.
I asked for a new project during year 2 as thought my first one wasn't going well. I never did what I applied for though as was not practical when I actually arrived.