Tips List

T

Hi,
Vitae's PGR tips is on the topic of supervisors this month (specifically making the most of supervisory meetings):
http://www.vitae.ac.uk/61811/Current-isssue-of-PGR-Tips.html
Hope it is of use to people!

those of you who are subscribed tp PGR tips- you should get it in your inbox tomorrow.
Tennie

S

Don't forget why you love your subject area. Write it down somewhere and post it in your lab or above your computer, so you can look at it when times get tough (because they WILL get tough).

U

I so agree! I sometimes despair at my universities ability to be short sighted and frustrating but loving what I study is the key to keeping me sane. (That and lots of coffee!)

Paul.

======= Date Modified 02 Sep 2009 19:35:29 =======
Or write a note about how you hate your subject area, but are happy to be paid for basically writing a book about something and watching jeremy kyle, while others are being sacked from thier high paid banking jobs haha. (don't get too smug in your 3rd year otherwise it will come back to bite you!)

N

Hi all,

Well i'm entering into the big bad world of the unknown and will be starting my PhD in October. I am so excited about getting started but feel a bit scared as I really don't know what to expect. All the hints and tips that have been posted on here have been invaluable and have helped answer a few of my many questions. Thank you all for taking the time to help us newbies.

Michelle

S

Hello all,

I found this thread very helpful for PhD, am hoping to create one for postdocs (never stop learning):)

After four years of hard work, I finally submitted my thesis. OK I won't say that I was sad after submitting because it was the nicest moment in my last four years.
Any way, after one month, am still waiting for my viva, and I started to think a lot as you can imagine.

OK to cut it short, I feel lost and I would really appreciate any advices on the post doctoral life, is there any one out there got one? please help

I do find the following subjects confusing:
first and sorry if it sounds stupid, what are the responsibilities of a postdocs?
2-I have difficulties in critical analysis of papers (Biomedical sciences), do you have any advices on how to master that?

3-Any tips on the VIVA day?

4-Job hunting tips, I read the graduk (now vitae) website and it is very helpful, but am just guessing real life is not always ruled by what is in books.

5-Any tips how to be a successful postdoc? what are the typical obstacles
? I don't know any postdocs, so I'm really scared if it is like the PhD, cause mine was difficult and although I think you can only learn by doing but, some tips and ideas might help as well. Any good book on the life of postdocs?

I found a link in science magazine about cover letters for postdocs very funny and interesting, it helped me a lot.

http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2002_09_20/noDOI.12222734545244148861

Looking forward to hear from you ,-)

T

======= Date Modified 07 Nov 2009 08:44:16 =======
Dear Someone,

Congratulations on submitting!!!! Good luck for your viva. To try and respond to all your questions:

there is now a blog/ forum for research staff (which includes postdocs as a major group): have a look at www.vitae.ac.uk/rsblog. Maybe you could post a similar request for advice there? You'd definitely get to feel like you know some postdocs there.

Re responsibilities of a postdocs- I found that my role had changed quite a lot during my doctorate and I am sure yours has too- you're likely to be far more independent now than you were when you started. maybe you've already helped some more junior doctoral researchers? What I mean is that becoming a postdoc is more part of a gradual change than an amazing cliff edge change of responisibility suddenly. How much responsibility you take on will be down to your PI, lab, coworkers and most importantly you.

On your difficulties in critical analysis of papers- I bet you're better than you make out, but this is something you could validly discuss with your supervisor.

My tips on the VIVA day I think are all on http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/1241/Your viva.html- did you manage to find that on the Vitae website too? Most important to remember is that you are the world's expert on your thesis.

Job hunting- use your networks to find out about opportunities and make sure you talk to current or past postdocs about what it is really like before or when you apply. PGR tips this month is on where to find jobs: www.vitae.ac.uk/pgrtips

Tips on succesful postdoccing: the pressure is different as there is no more submission or examination EVER. But there is genreally a real pressure to publish, to obtain research funding and to guide doctoral students.

Hope this is useful and again- congratulations on your achievements to date and all the best for the future.

Tennie

S

OK, every one writes choose supervisors carefully,

How exactly please you choose supervisors? am bad in first impressions (for me any one who reached this far should be nice), any tips will help.
what are the signs one is good or bad?
I mean at the beginning every one is nice, and I don't think some one who works for that supervisor will say (he or she is bad?)

am I right?

can you please list all the negative and positive traits of your supervisor?

how did you deal with the negative aspects?
I would love to hear about both positive stories and negative ones ?

P

Hi Someone3

Hmm, I think there's a good bit of luck involved in this as it is indeed difficult to guess appropriately for anyone at first sight, really. Stories, you'll find plenty here, often also it's a question of the 'match' between two personalities, not just a good student/supervisor or a bad one.

I will share a very positive account, and I think, many have similar accounts to share, of helpful supervisors, Stressed, Eska, Sue, Rubyw I think being some of these lucky ones :-) You will also find many who have had very difficult times indeed and who are continuing an uphill task, with determination and grit.

My supervisor:

1. Is an international star, immensely recognised in academia, policy and by the public, one of the mosr productive researchers in a frontline university, and yet
2. Incredibly human, down to earth, willing to listen to my stupid stories that range from financial issues to time management to even favourite books and novels :-)
3. Spots out new opportunities for her students all the time- projects, writing, presenting, publishing..
4. Sets an example
5. Recognises tiny little achievements like a class seminar success by making it a point to come up and say 'that was a triumph!'
6. Can say 'never mind, something else will work out for sure' for missed opportunities, and stories of failure
7. Raises the intellectual bar by introducing fresh areas of work that are both relevant to the thesis (hence doesnt lead me on a wild goose chase) but also fresh areas that extend the boundaries of my research interests (hence opening up ideas for my next thing)

ANd of course, sends back drafts to be written for Version 16 (!), for which I am always baring my teeth while writing, and grinning when getting praised when others read the finished piece.

:-)

S

Hi SOmeone3

Yes, PhDBug remembered well, I do indeed have a good supervisor (well done Bug!). PhDBug's list is a good one, and I'd agree with all those things. I think it's important to make sure you chose a supervisor who publishes a lot and has a high profile. While this doesn't mean they'll be a good supervisor, you don't want someone who's resting on their laurels, but someone who is active, has networks and can find you opportunities.

My sup is the most generous person I've ever worked with, sends back comments on drafts promptly, and is always supportive, even when I know my work isn't the best. Best of all, she continually looks for opportunities for me and is always pushing me to write articles, present at conferences etc. We have written and presented together - this is the kind of person you need. I was lucky finding a good supervisor - I think if I had to find one now, I'd actually ask them who their previous students were and then talk to them about their experiences. Almost like getting a reference about a potential supervisor! A good supervisor shouldn't mind you doing this - they will undoubtedly be asking other academics about you as well. There's been so many horror stories on this foum about bad supervisors, I think it's important to try and do all you can to avoid getting someone you can't work with. Good luck!

T

Hi,

the latest PGR Tips from Vitae is on auditing your skills: http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/61811/Current-issue-of-PGR-Tips.html. Hope this proves useful to you!
It ties in with the current consultation on the Researcher Development Framework, which you are encouraged to take part in!
http://www.vitae.ac.uk/rdfconsultation.

any requests for future PGR Tips topics? let me know on here, by direct message or email on [email protected],
happy December,
Tennie

T

Hi all,
happy new year!
there was another PGR Tips in December which I hadn't got round to telling you about: this time on creativity in research. Check it out on: http://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers/61811/Current-issue-of-PGR-Tips.html.
this time it ties in with the launch of the second booklet in the researcher series, the creative researcher:
http://www.vitae.ac.uk/CMS/files/upload/The_creative_researcher_Dec09.pdf

all the best,
Tennie

T

Hi, PGR Tips this month is on 'where to publish journal articles'. Basically I had started to write a general Tips on how to write a publication but there were so many different aspects to that (of course) so I ended up narrowing it down to how to choose the journal... Other aspects will follow!

http://www.vitae.ac.uk/CMS/files/upload/PGR%20Tips%20issue%2039%20feb%20where%20to%20publish.pdf

enjoy,
Tennie
PS still open to suggestions for future PGR Tips!

M

Thanks Tennie! Ahead of me in the not-too-distant future.