to do research from overseas universities

J

In that case the first PhD was based on wrong decision-making regarding the field of study and therefore still a waste of life time.

S

Hmmm. Well I have changed direction a few times - sometimes it takes time for your interests to develop and mature. Not sure that it's ever a waste of a life though - there are usually ways to capitalise on having thorough knowledge or experience in different areas. I sometimes wish I had just known where I was going from the start - but I think to write off whole chunks of your life as 'a waste' just because you feel the direction you took doesn't suit you is destructively negative thinking - really not a useful mindset.

O

sorry but doing two PhDs because the first one was in the wrong field is definitely a waste of life time. It's evidence of "wandering" around - the opposite of being focused and determined. Research interests can change, but I don't understand how a previous PhD in a different field can provide any benefits??

G

"..but my friend did his second degree while working and then had 2 kids during his 2nd PhD. He just felt that his interests had radically changed although he still wanted to be in research. He was very focussed, very committed and worked very hard - but certainly still had a life and remained in the real world".

You might want to ask his wife whether she had a life during this period. You'll probably get an entirely different answer.

S

It may not be an ideal way to plan your life (it's not something I can imagine doing myself) - but it's not so bad if you want to change direction badly enough. Many universities will not allow you to research in a field distinct from the field of your PhD. It almost happened to me - but fortunately I didn't do a PhD in my original subject.

And how is his wife's situation any different to my husband's? She wasn't around for the first PhD. Both my friend and I have taken an extra 2 years due to having children - only he is male and I am female (although actually some people do think my husband is some kind of saint for 'allowing' me to do this...). Surely you don't think he owes his wife (who has a very good job) to be the breadwinner - or do you? Perhaps his wife prefers him to be happy following his interests - after all - it may seem like a very long time if you're relatively young but actually it's just a few years out of a long professional life.

S

And back to the OP - I have also heard of overseas students being advised to repeat postgrad (even undergrad) studies in order carry on at some universities.

G

What does owing his wife to be the breadwinner mean in comprehensible English? Just wondering.

S

Perhaps he is seen as more irresponsible than a women in the same position would be, as there is an expectation that he should be supporting his family financially. I'm not sure anyone would be asking the husband if they 'had a life', if it were the other way around.

G

I actually didn't mean it in that sense at all. I was thinking in terms of the sacrifices that had to be made in parties personal and social lives. I think you're jumping to a conclusion (with both feet it seems) a trifle too eagerly.

S

Just feeling bored and irritable trying to set up this new computer!

O

I think it really depends on the direction life takes you. I have been associated with three academics who holds 2 PhDs respectively. The first orginally obtained his PhD in Psychology from Essex and then moved into the field of music obtaining a second PhD in Music in a 5* rated UK music department. If I mention the Uni. I'll possibly give away his identity. This guy is currently Professor of Music and a BIG name in the field worldwide as I write. The second guy is currently Professor of Theology, and used to be Principal of one of the Colleges in Oxford. He originally took his PhD in Quantum Physics from Oxford before doing his bachelors and PhD in Theology, also at Oxford. Some people would possibly know whom I'm talking about. Why? the guy is hotly in debate with Richard Dawkins on God's Existence. He is known worldwide for his excellence not just in the area of Science & Religion, but also in Systematic Theology.

O

The third guy has 2 PhDs one in Education and the other in Theology and is currently in KCL. Again, he is a giant in field of Religion in Education. I see nothing wrog in doing 2 PhDs if you have the stamina. I'll probably do it.

O

I currently hold 2 undergraduate diplomas, 2 undergraduate degrees and 2 master's degrees. If I have the stamina, I'll do second doctorate.

G

There was a chap at an old Uni of mine that had 5 undergrad degrees and 2 masters. I can personally think of better hobbies to pass time.