To PhD or not to PhD ?

C

This page gives an overview of the destinations of PhDs in 2006 when they had finished their PhD. At the bottom is a set of links providing more detail about what PhDs in particular subjects did on completion of their PhD.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/What_do_postgraduates_do_/What_do_doctoral_graduates_do__2006/p!eigLlfL

I do think it's important to think through clearly the topic/precise discipline of the PhD you want to do and think how this relates to your post PhD career aspirations.

E

Hi, thanks billy & commonsense for your messages and for the links too - will check them out in a minute...
Its good to know others are in my position also. Ru going ahead with the phd billy?? I am a UK student& briefly looked over the funding options and I know if you are someone fortunate enough to get some kind of stipend or grant the money is very very good. But as you noted, the proposal has to be top quality.
I'm okay with maths but doubt myself in a quants role as I'm probably not "mathsy" enough. Its also tough for me as my Msc will be from a very lowly ranked uk uni.

E

My masters dissertation is risk management & the principal agent problem, I would not pursue that at doctorate level - I'm interested in investment behaviour and strategy which I see as a future career not just a research pitstop - I totally agree with commonsense on that score. I've just so much going round my head and I guess my instinct is saying go for the phd but my head is saying "what about this etc etc".

E

Hi! I'd say it would really depend on what your long-term goal is. Personally, I want to be a professor (I can see myself spending the rest of my life in academia). However, you said that you don't prefer that path. So, my advice to you is to work right after your master's, and then assess yourself on what you really want. Anyway, you're still young (23 right?). Remember, the average age of a PhD student in the United States is around 31 to 34 years old!

Good luck!

E

Hi! I'd say it would really depend on what your long-term goal is. Personally, I want to be a professor (I can see myself spending the rest of my life in academia). However, you said that you don't prefer that path. So, my advice to you is to work right after your master's, and then assess yourself on what you really want. Anyway, you're still young (23 right?). Remember, the average age of a PhD student in the United States is around 31 to 34 years old!

Good luck!

A

Re: O.stoll's message "...in one country they nearly bow down, give you better treatment at the airline queue ..."

Is it wise to call yourself 'Dr.' when you book a flight? My PhD certainly won't help save someone's life whilst thousands of feet in the air!