Too much paid work?

======= Date Modified 18 Jul 2010 10:37:53 =======

Quote From button:

Thanks for all your responses! My PhD is in social sciences, so I won't have the pressure of labs and so on.

You may have to do field work though? I spent a lot of my first year and part of my second year having to go to lots of meetings/seminars/workshops (and running them) just to get participants on board with the research. And then interviewing people who refused telephone interviews, meaning travelling up to Manchester or something and staying there for days of interviews. - just be aware that you may not be able to be completely tied to doing another job 1-2 days every week, because some weeks you will need to be off doing PhD work.

S

Hi again, I have to agree 100% with what Kizzy has said, read that paperwork or the website rules thoroughly and I seriously would contact your new supervisor to discuss it with them as if you get your new job it would be ongoing while you are their student. A fully funded PhD is a totally different animal work-wise to a self funded one and they are paying you a stipend so that you work full time on your PhD - that's the whole point of funding, its to release you from the stress of funding your own living expenses and fees (in theory!!!) As I said, I work as an RA in the dept (my sup is running the project) and so I have flexibility - if he says you need to do x, y and z on your PhD quickly, then he'll tell my line manager that I'll need a couple of weeks off lol! BUT...... a few times I've worked extra hours in a week to make up for hours I've missed through sickness or whatever and the grad director has sent emails to my manager asking why I've gone over the 10 hours and warning her that I am in no way allowed to go over those 10 hours. She's then had to produce evidence that in week ending x I only worked 5 hours so its to make up for that - but she still gets warned off - it really is that strict!
I'm linked losely to the social sciences and have many friends in that area and although you aren't tied to a lab in the same way that you would be doing a science degree you still have a lot of extra stuff to do, things that need time taken out - don't tie yourself up too much or you're going to be spinning plates furiously with a real risk of the lot coming crashing down

A

======= Date Modified 18 Jul 2010 12:43:47 =======
I would also say to check carefully with what your funders allow. For me I was allowed 8 hours of paid work extra a week, and this had to be related to my Phd. I ended up doing demonstrating work and this left me unable to do any other part time work. I did do volunteer work throughout, more so in my first year than now in final year, but this was unpaid so I didn't really tell my funders about it. Plus it was periodical work. I'd say if you are funded then try not to work, even if you find you have some extra time in your first year use that and enjoy some weekends off or trips away, because by final year you'll be crying out for some proper time off!

Also, my supervisor said that the minimum requirement for doing a PhD work wise is 9-5 Mon-Fri, like normal work, but he would expect me to do more than this, especially where deadlines etc are coming up, so I don't think you'd have enough time to do a PhD, RA, volunteer, the new job and have time off!