Too old to start?

O

I think that age and maturity and life experience can lend a lot to doing the PhD--a certain work ethic you have, the ability to make yourself get up and get out of bed and go work, without regard to your mood or motivation--those are not even up for consideration, you just get up and get on with things. If you gave yourself lee way to not go to work on time or at all given mood or motivation you would have quickly had NO job whatsoever.

I feel some advantage with age and practical professional experience doing my PhD. My JD is on par with the degree that legal academics have in the US, and so I do not feel "less than" because I am not yet done with my PhD as to my particular area.

J

Well...I think you are all much younger than I am. . This is probably my third career, first was in med labs, where I got my fellowship and was involved in some ground breaking research, second was in non-academic craft work, although I did a lot of learning none was tested by exams etc. and now I'm working in education (not teaching in schools though) and it was because of that that I embarked on adult teaching qualifications followed by MA and now PhD, both part-time.

J

I'm doing it because I'm passionate about the future of education and think it is worth doing. My supervisor is passionate too which helps and he encouraged me to do it. However I'm still a baby at this kind of research - that for the med lab stuff was different,- but it is sooo interesting (so far anyway!)I wish I'd done it earlier, but then again I felt the same about all the stuff I've done, I've never had a boring job - some just haven't been that well paid. I don't want to become a lecturer, but would love to get something in print in my area, so I suppose age is immaterial.

Q

I much like this discussion hoping it will help me take decision, I am 43 years old, and really considering pursuing PhD . It will open new career for me and will change my life. However the questions which are jumping to my head,
Can I really withstand sitting in the library for hours every day, far away from wife and kids ?
Is there any professor who agrees to be my supervisor? That’s if there is a school which accepts me.
I think that going for the PhD at this age is very difficult except in USA , where age is not major problem.

O

I have never heard mention of "age" as a problem from my supervisor, the whole subject has just never come up, so the fact I am not a spring chicken does not seem to bother anyone, in fact, the years of actual relevant work experience seem like they might be regarded as value added!

J

I don't think age is a barrier, if you want it, go for it. Treat it like a job. Do you think your future career will spring from the work you are doing, that is, is it something that will shape your future work, or is the qualification necessary for the job you want to do - i.e. you will never get very far in your chosen area without it? Both are a bit of a gamble, the former maybe a bit more than the latter as then you are pinning your hopes on someone with the money also being enthused by the research. The only thing I would say though is that you need to have 100% informed backing from your family, they must see beyond the rosy glow pic of postgrad student life and realise that you will have loads of work to do, it might not be at convenient times, and you are bound to be crabby and depressed, and wholly wrapped up in your work to the exclusion of everything else - hopefully not all at the same time if not than some of the messages on this site show what can happen.

B

I am sorry I haven't had time to check how this discussion is progressing.

Devoichitsa, thanks for the information.

Sleepyhead, I am in the South West so I can consider Birmingham Uni even though, I would rather stay where I am because the research team in IR is fantastic.

Joyce, I agree with your sentiments. Doing the PhD and completing it successfully will put me where I have always wanted to be. It has been a long road getting here considering that I am now doing my second Masters, my family are used to my never ending academic journey. It would be great to finally arrive at a destination point.

R

Well as an oldie (late 40’s) newbie (just finished my masters) this thread has been a very interesting read for me. I’m looking for a part-time PhD. I’m not really interested in an academic career; I’m still wandering along the personal development road. I’m going to dust off the cob-webs and throw out the moth balls…then spend some time researching how to make the world a better place to live in…that is for the few years I have left. CONCERNS – my son will probably be older than my supervisor!! QUESTION – when making applications when would the most appropriate time be to mention my age - prior to or in the application?

H

Rob G: age should be irrelevant, in fact many PhD supervisors prefer older students as the work ethic TENDS to be more productive.

I

great thread, just what I was looking for

my story so far: I'm 30 years of age, returned to my studies in 2006 and have just gained my honours degree in chemistry. I've been very lucky to obtain a research assistantship with a top university, the plan being to start a PhD after the 6 month probation. in terms of salary I've taken a considerable cut compared to my previous jobs (I will still get a salary on top of the funding, and hopefully fee remission!), but for me this is a vocation, money is not important to me... I'm relatively single, with no kids or mortgage.

I'm hoping to break into nanotech, primarily its applications for the treatment of cancer... I can't tell you how excited and happy I am right now, being surrounded by so many inspirational people.

I

the point is, age is nothing, it really is only a number... the important thing is to follow your dreams! having said that, I believe PhDs are wasted on those in their 20s, as the vast majority are relatively immature and have so much to learn and find out about themselves...

also, a PhD is a bit like the pet you buy at Christmas

my first post on this forum, and an absolute pleasure to be here. best of luck to everyone xx

I

bump of all bumps.....

married, father, mortgage.
did my PhD eventually, graduated last year (started in 2013!)
on my second postdoc and loving it.
what a long road it has been :-)

I

*cringe*