total desperation, I want to quit!!!

C

I apologize for sending a negative post. People need good examples and positive messages, but I am really struggling to cope with my personal situation. Perhaps someone will remember that I am in the 2nd year of my PhD and that I had problems with my previous supervisor, but I put up with it. When this person left I felt a huge relief, as I always had a very good relationship with my current supervisor (he taught me in my ug courses). However, my former supervisor insisted to be involved in the supervision as external, and here the problem started again and managed to pollute the relationship with my new supervisor. I really struggle to cope with the situation.

B

Oh, Corinne *hugs for you* I had a similar situation with a bad supervisor who eventually left and - while she didn't insist on being involved anymore (far from it) - she did negatively impact on my current supervisor's view of me. I wanted to quit so much & on so many occasions because of it!

Anyway, I know how low this situation must be making you feel. The thing that really helped me was remembering *who* I was doing this for - not for them but for myself. I just really tried hard to work with that sense of everything I did being about satisfying me.

In the meantime, I would say just be kind to yourself. Make time to do some things that makes you happy (for me, that generally boils down to cooking & watching films ... but whatever floats your boat!) Also, seek support from friends / family if you can.

Anyway, please keep in touch about how you're doing!

C

Hi belisarius, your message is of great help and it's great to hear that you managed to go ahead in spite of the problems with your sup. My situation is very similar to yours. It's clear that I am not alone - you have probably red my posts in the 2nd thread- and this give me the strength to go on. I am just tired and I would like a bit of support, but the more I try to sort that problem, the more it become apparent that I will never get it. I need to learn not to focus and the relationship with my s. but only on my research. Have you completed your PhD already?

K

Hi Corrinne, I know how you feel... am also in 2nd year Phd and have wanted to quit many a time, largely due to money (well, the lack thereof actually) and politics

I guess the only comfort I can give you is that this is a temporary situation and that things can only get better from here on. Know there are many others like you that you can share with and rely on. Good luck with everything, hope it goes well

D

There was someone on my supervising team who looked down on me and was never going to accept my presence. I just grit my teeth and carried on - You have to jump through hoops - she was a hoop and I am free of her now!

C

My PhD is a living nightmare. I am a year and a half in and have gone off on tangents (but not in a good way) and have an ill defined area. My panel is in two weeks. I'm supposed to hand in a thesis argument in three days. This is the hardest thing I have ever done.

B

Corinne - no, I haven't yet finished. I'm in my third year. It is tough going but I will get there (as will you!)

Hmmm - I'v been there Chrisrolinski. Really only felt I had found my feet with the project right at the end of my second year. Writing a thesis plan is torturous, but it does help. Best of luck with it.

C

Thank you all. I recognize my story in yours and it is of great help reading how you managed to cope with this. I feel less lonely and although still very concerned you certainly transmitted me a lot of positive energy. I will be away on fieldowrk for a while and I trust that getting out of the usual routine will help to keep focussed on the right things.