Traditional foods wherever you go

O

I caved in and went for a bag of Doritos...and am cracking up over their packaging....it says that they are made the "traditional Mexican way." Hmmm..I never knew Doritos were a Mexican tradition! It reminds me of going to lunch at an Irish themed pub back in the US with some work mates, where the waitress described the turkey sandwich as being made in the traditional Irish way with sauerkraut! Hmmm..I never knew that turkey, sandwiches or sauerkraut singly, let all alone altogether in a sandwich were traditionally Irish!!! Well, I should get back to work on my PhD in the traditional way...!

R

That's because they aren't I don't even know what Sauerkraut is lol!!! I was in a bar in the US once and saw a 'Traditional Irish Reuben Sandwich' on the menu and thought 'how come I've never heard of it before'? Then I found out that it had corn-beef in it which - correct me if I'm wrong - is an English thing? Very funny... the lengths people will go to in order to sell stuff!!!

O

Sauerkraut is a very German dish--its where I think the nickname of Kraut came from for Germans--anyway I don't care for sauerkrat. As the name suggests I think its made of fermented cabbage. Some people really like it but I don't!!! I prefer the traditional Irish dish of a pint of Guinness, served in the correct traditional Irish pint glass with the slight bulge near the top of the glass.

O

America goes insane for St Paddys Day--with their version of "traditional Irish" things. Basically, even if there is no Irish person in town, its a celebration of things green. Wear a green shirt or drive a green car and you can join in a parade! Drink green beer! Its IRISH TRADITION! ( according to the Americans)

R

Ah yes, well that most certainly is traditional!

O

Green beer?

R

Ugh won't be long now... Can't believe people drink that The funniest 'green' thing I ever saw on Paddy's Day were green battered sausages - the batter being green of course, not the sausage Sick sick sick!!!

J

Heh. It's funny, none of my family celebrate St Patrick's Day; we think of it as an American thing

O

It is soooo American, but I have noticed the High Street card shops advertising for it here!

R

@ Olivia, I meant the guinness not the green beer - we posted at the same time

O

LOL Rosy, glad you meant Guinness and not green beer. I was starting to feel all disillusioned about Irish traditions. Next you would tell me you ate sauerkraut with turkey as a tradition!

B

Hey Olivia, do you miss Taco Bell? I've gotta say, our Chinese food is nowhere near as tasty as American Chinese food. I can't believe how gorgeous the chinese food is over there! I lived in the states for a while, and I really miss Taco Bell, Wendy's, Arby's, the biscuits, mashed potato and gravy from KFC, proper Mexican food, and American birthday cakes--they're so gorgeous! Great, I've just replied to the diet thread and here I am going on about food again!

O

Taco Bell ..sob...yes, I miss Taco Bell! It is the BEST! I went mad the other week trying to find Mexican food and the best I did was a veggie dish of some sort that a local place billed out as Mexican. It was OK, but Taco Bell it was not! I told my family who live in Maryland about the Maryland Chicken franchises here, and they cracked up about that--I am going to send them some pics of those! They did not believe that there was really such a thing! I do miss Mexican food and Taco Bell in particular, but am making do.

O

On a previous visit to the UK, I stopped in a place called " American Pizza" that was run by Bulgarians. They were really excited that a real American came into American Pizza, and I felt like I had my 15 minutes of Warholian fame. I was just going to say I miss Pizza Hut--but its here. I just haven't been!